460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my dizzy gear has a chip in it. It is kinda stubborn to come off so I'm wondering if it is worth the effort. (Keep telling myself to just do it)
What do you guys think? This is a MSD setup. The gear must be pressed on. Any tricks to removing it?
Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok got the gear off. Drilled the new gear to match the old (hole location was off). Now, how did you press the new one on. How did you support the shaft? Just trying not to fubar anything up!
Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
On my MSD instructions the distance was 3.996" to 4.005" to the bottom of the gear. However I see that the ford instructions are different ?? Mine was for a bronze gear so is it different for the OEM gear?

Use some sort of socket or something that will go over the shaft and press the gear in place.

I supported the housing when pressing the gear ON and used the gear as support when pressing it OFF with the allen wrench insert in the shaft.

It didn't resist much when pressing it on.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
5,570 Posts
If you have an MSD and that's what MSD calls out, the go with MSD. And if possible, check dizzy gear thrust clearance while the unit is installed in the block (requires timing cover removal).

Paul

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Distributor gear location.

The MSD dimentions are with all the play in the shaft COMPRESSED and the Ford dimentions are with all the play in the shaft EXTENDED.
It all SHOULD end-up with the gear in the same place...

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Re: Distributor gear location.

rmcomprandy said:
The MSD dimentions are with all the play in the shaft COMPRESSED and the Ford dimentions are with all the play in the shaft EXTENDED.
It all SHOULD end-up with the gear in the same place...
Good Point, I forgot to mention that............

I measured from the end of the shaft to the bottom of the gear as a reference when I was installing my gear and it was in spec when finished.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Also

This might help too...

If the gear is placed too low on the shaft and the distributor is clamped into position, the gear is jammed down onto the running surface and galling/destruction occurs. This can be very bad; block damage.

If the gear is placed too high on the shaft, the gear mesh is improper and the gear will tend to climb/chatter, which causes premature wear. Damage to gear usually, or maybe cam as well.

The distributor is designed in such a way that the shaft has some end-to-end play when installed in the housing. Once installed, the gear is positioned such that it's within the range of this play, and lays gently on the mating surface in the block without binding. In fact, with the distributor installed, you can usually pull up on the distributor shaft while rotating the gear and feel/inspect this play, then push it back down and feel the gear tap against the mating surface of the block.

Lastly, what did you use for a pin? At the very least, I'd use an improved heavy duty roll pin like the one McMaster Carr sells. I don't have the part number handy, but I can find it if you need it. A lot of guys drill for 3/16 pins. I'm trying the heavy duty mcmaster pin...I did a bunch of testing and believe this solution is more than ample.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts