460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading a thread on Auction Block and it got me thinking? Do we put too much emphasis on HP numbers vs. what the car actually does at the track?

I know that I am guilty of this and drove Lem and Lawes crazy when they built our motor. That is the first time I heard Lem say "we don't race dynos around here"

Drag Racing is a safe car, good motor, tuned suspension, etc, right? 1,000 hp doesn't mean bumbcus if your tires spin all the way down the track:rolleyes:

What do you guys think? I'll get off my soap box now.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Thats right if your making 500hp and racing 1000hp if you make it to the end first you win

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bruce your exactly right last year i put you on the trailer with my 500hp motor to your 1000 hp motor :eek::D
Nick,

We are headed up to Owensboro this morning.

I hope we get an opportunity to line up on Friday:rolleyes:
Looking forward to Saturday:)

Bruce

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I agree too... As long as it runs as good or better than I think it will, that's all I care about...:D ;)

Doug...:cool:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Bruce your exactly right last year i put you on the trailer with my 500hp motor to your 1000 hp motor :eek::D

Hey dipshit, Now you'll see how we felt last year with a busted tranny!!;) You might not get turd off the trailer but if you do, its on like donkey kong biotch!!!:D:D

Keith

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Hey dipshit, Now you'll see how we felt last year with a busted tranny!!;) You might not get turd off the trailer but if you do, its on like donkey kong biotch!!!:D:D

Keith
Damn sounds like this is going to be one hellova match:D

·
Registered
620 Posts
I was just reading a thread on Auction Block and it got me thinking? Do we put too much emphasis on HP numbers vs. what the car actually does at the track?
I think I know which thread you are talking about...
I think sometimes people put a little too much faith into those et/mph/hp/weight calculators. Way too much faith actually. They are good for a ballpark figure but, should not be taken to heart. Sometimes they are spot on, sometimes not so close. Someone posts that they have 1000 hp and since their et/mph doesn't match what someone's "Fantasy Wheel" says, they are automatically either lying about their hp or, the dyno it was on was way off or, their car doesn't weigh what they think...blah, blah, blah.
Those formulas say my car should run better than it does...I'm not too concerned with all that. As long as it is fast, reliable, consistant and, easy to dial, I'm happy.
So, I gues I race a car not an engine...those dragster guys race engines (on a stick.):p:D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Knowing how much hp your motor makes better helps tune your car. If you make some big horsepower but only run a small number then you know either chassis is not working properly or the converter is not right or ect. The more info you know the better to help get everything working right.

Or like me as a bracket racer you build a motor put it in and it runs what is runs and just make in consistent

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Every piece of the puzzle is usefull. If you know the dyno numbers and can then match the converter, you have one piece taken care of and can move on to the next. But also if you have the info and refuse to use it that is a whole other can of worms. Consistency in drag racing is paramount and that is what one should shoot for. I was pleased when on the dyno my motor showed consistent pulls, that means the tune is good, and the components work together. If we are bragging, I will just sit in the corner, because there are many motors out there that have twice the hp I have. I have run a against a few trucks in the mud that had me beat hp and tq wise, but I got to the end first. Might have been luck of the lane or what ever, but I still got there first. I have also been beat hands down by stuff that had less motor than I did too. That's racing of any kind :).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts