460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys:
A few days ago, there were some of you that were VERY knowlegable about this Heavy duty steel crank.

My question is, Does anyone have one of these ? Would it be for SALE ? if so contact Vic Guilmino on this site by PM or e-mail. I know that he would appreciate it. As he doesn't get much time to visit this GREAT forum.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Getting harder to find...

I've initiated a search recently as well for another member of this forum.

I've learned that these cranks are getting harder to find and/or the heavy equipment engine remanufacturers are getting more resistant to parting them out seperately. If you search the web, you'll even find heavy equipment and bus forums talking about "keeping these cranks out of the hands of the hotrodders" because they are so rare/desireable to us, the heavy equipment guys can't get them. 4 years ago when I started my project, they were everywhere and cheap. I fear that's not the case anymore.

My recommendation is to find out who services bucket trucks and/or heavy trucks or bus fleets in your area and see what they have lying around. This crank was used in production Ford heavy trucks through 1996. I have someone at Ford checking new stock availability...it's quite possible they're still available through Ford as a service item. You might want to try this route as well.

When you're searching, you might want to make it clear to them that a used crank that requires substantial machining is okay. You could offset grind it or use a custom rod potentially if the price was right. A lot of times these heavy equipment guys consider these cranks junk if they have to be turned undersize more than .020"-.030" or so.

When I have time, I'm going to go visit a heavy equipment yard here and get a VIN number off a vehicle with a 429 industrial engine. This will help.

If I find more than the one unit I'm looking for, I'll be sure to let you know.

Byron

·
Premium Member
5,570 Posts
47prostreet said:
Hey Guys:
A few days ago, there were some of you that were VERY knowlegable about this Heavy duty steel crank.

Does anyone have one of these ? Would it be for SALE ?
As a matter of fact, yes, I do have one. And as a matter of fact, no, it is not for sale. :wink:

If you find any extras, please let me know. The new overseas crankshaft forgings do not offer specifically what is needed over here in this camp...

'scuse me for asking, but I'm curious: what warrants the need for a 1075 steel crank over the cast 429 crank? What is the build/estimated HP/application?

Now that I think about it, I might have a lead on a supplier, but the cost is around $500 + shipping. With all the new chinese chromoly forged crankshafts out there for the Ford, I'm not so sure this price is reasonable for a 1075 steel crank. PM me if interested.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
steel 429 truck crank...

Call A.W.Brown at "Performance Crankshaft, Inc." at # (586) 549-7557 9:00a.m. to 4:30p.m. eastern time.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I was looking for a crankshaft a few years ago. I got one from a local propane company that had a blown up engine. It had two spun rod bearings but for offset grinding and going 2.200 it was fine. Best of all the price was right. Free.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I was recently on the hunt for one.

Just call your Ford parts counter and tell them you need a crank shaft for a 429 natural gas burner. Ford doesn't offer them but they can tell you where to find one. My dealership directed me to a parts house. $400 for a regrind plus core. I asked if they would sale me a core and they refused. I'd end up having close to $1000 after all machine work was done. So I decided to wait and see how these new forged cranks work out.

I had posted the part numbers on the old website and I think I also did a wtb that had the part numbers in it.

It will reqiure more than normal machine work due to the large snout.

P.s If you really want one. Sometimes it is easier to buy the whole truck. I found a old gas truck that had the engine but they wouldn't let me pull the engine. Told me I would have to buy the truck for $500!

What am I going to do with an old truck like that! Plus if I brought that home my wife would shoot me!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rare Crank?

Hi Guys and Paul:
I don't mind anyone asking, Actually I am posting kind of for my friend, he says I'm on line more than he is.

In the NHRA rule book, it states that in his class he can run another brand rod. They dictate what part #'s of rod and crank. Wiht these rods this steel crank is turned down a bunch. I guesss that's why he wants steel over cast.
It's a stock bore and stroke, manditory in that class. He mentioned less mass with this set up, and better ET. The Chebbie guys are crying, but he is LEGAL. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Er, size for size, since cast is lighter than steel, a cast crank will be lighter.

·
Premium Member
5,570 Posts
What class is he running/what times? HP? 2.200 or 2.100 rod?

Under special circumstances, members of this forum have managed somehwere in the neighboorhood of 1000HP with the factory cast cranks...some people here have subjected them to more than that. Not telling you to just go out there and do this; rather, I'd like to hear the specifics of the application. Maybe a cast one can be made to work just fine.

Paul

·
Registered
86 Posts
I run across those crankshafts (it seems) every other time I go to that Columbus super swap meet. That's where I got mine a couple of years ago. I didn't see one over thanksgiving so you might get lucky if you go to the spring swap!

I bought mine brand new in the box for $350, and for a long time felt like I overpaid for the thing. I'm starting to feel like I got a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Charlie Stevens said:
Er, size for size, since cast is lighter than steel, a cast crank will be lighter.
I'd guess he's whittleing it down quite a lot (probably more than just BBC rod journals), and wanted better metal.

Several of the engine masters entries had billet steel cranks whittled down to nothing for light weight and less windage.

·
Registered
118 Posts
steel crank sources

Are the aftermarket forged cranks available yet or is this still the only alternative for forged steel? Also I would very much like to get one of these and I really had no idea where to look for one. What are some of the exact industrial applications that had these cranks that people have found them in? Jones you said you found one in an old gas truck, what kind of truck exactly was it and where did you find it? Couldn’t you just buy the truck, pull the engine and scrap it after?

What exactly is different about the snout? Why not just pull the whole engine it originally worked with and use that? Are there other differences in the blocks?

I don’t have any specific grudge against Chinese cranks, I just know I have heard rumors about forged cranks coming for a long time and I would like to pursue a known course. Also I am building a turbo engine and want to try and use as much factory ford stuff in the engine and driveline as I can. D0ve heads, high boost, c6, 9in.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
As of the end of last year, NHRA also allows the Chevy journal size as long as one of the NHRA approved connecting rods, (as listed in their "Stock/Super Stock" engine spacs), are used in the engine.

·
Premium Member
5,570 Posts
Re: steel crank sources

timiacobucci said:
Are the aftermarket forged cranks available yet or is this still the only alternative for forged steel? Also I would very much like to get one of these and I really had no idea where to look for one. What are some of the exact industrial applications that had these cranks that people have found them in? Jones you said you found one in an old gas truck, what kind of truck exactly was it and where did you find it? Couldn’t you just buy the truck, pull the engine and scrap it after?

What exactly is different about the snout? Why not just pull the whole engine it originally worked with and use that? Are there other differences in the blocks?
ya know Tim, these 429 cranks have their disadvantages as well. Frankly, the offshore forgings offer a (thus far) outstanding alternative for the Ford enthusiast. They are 4340 material and offered in stroker rod throws. On the flipside, the 429 crank is only 1075 steel and the snout requires machining, etc.

The only reason I am searching for one specifically is because we need to destroke one and only down to a Chrysler journal...and their ain't no other forging available at the moment that will allow for this as delivered (w/o welding).

But chinese stroker cranks are just shy of plentiful right now, and in good strokes too. There are currently two in the "Auction Block" section of this forum and Brian Adams likely has some available as well.

Paul

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Steel Cranks

Hey Guys:
Dragsterman must have got his rulebook out. Yeah they are "Pontiac" rods. I think the crank is whittled down by about 220ths, so I guess steel is best for that small pin. Not sure of the HP & Tq. he's running.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Paul:
No, no blower. I'm not sure what class, but it's a 71 stang in a "Stock" NHRA class. He travels around to many main events, and does pretty well, I hear.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
timiacobucci, There is an old Ford man that has a whole lot of Ford salavage stuff here in Philadelphia, Mississippi!!
That was his point by offering to sale the whole truck to me. I would have to buy the truck, drag it home, pull the engine. Then take the gamble that the crank is good, then haul the rest off.

I was told by him and the Ford parts desk that any 429 that came from the factory running on natural gas, LPG would have the steel crank. The 429 with the plain gas engines had the iron.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts