460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4bolt dove block that had to short a deck for my 501 stroker .it is currently std bore but will definately need to be bored .no rust in cylinders ,just tore it down had forged trw pistons 429 flattops on cj rods .this was bought as a running motor .

block $800 prefer local pickup on the block

8pistons and 7 cj rods and1dove non football rod on 1piston plus 1 new ford trw piston $150 shipped .

also have a 429 crank $100

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
block

it hasnt been milled that I know ,I have a d9 block and the piston still sticks out 5 thousandths .it is a 4.14 stroke 6.8 rods 1.45 compression height I believe from memory lol!But it is one wild child with that 671 on it !! I believe it is a 10.3 early block ,the d1's 10.31 and d9 10.32 that is by memory too so someone can correct me if I am wrong there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
With the info you provided by my calculations it adds up to 10.32, in the newer block it should be 0 deck unless the block has been milled IMO.

·
Registered
724 Posts
blower motor

Whats the specs on your blower motor? Looks real nice! Any dyno #'s? I'm running a 871 blown 460 and I'm building a stroker short block to move my top end over eventually. These 385 series really love to be supercharged! Good luck this coming year with your ride. Greg blown473

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
I have a 4bolt dove block that had to short a deck for my 501 stroker .it is currently std bore but will definately need to be bored .no rust in cylinders ,just tore it down had forged trw pistons 429 flattops on cj rods .this was bought as a running motor .

block $800 prefer local pickup on the block
it hasnt been milled that I know ,I have a d9 block and the piston still sticks out 5 thousandths .it is a 4.14 stroke 6.8 rods 1.45 compression height I believe from memory lol!But it is one wild child with that 671 on it !! I believe it is a 10.3 early block ,the d1's 10.31 and d9 10.32 that is by memory too so someone can correct me if I am wrong there.
I might be thinking wrong, but is .005" out too much to discard a 4 bolt block over? If not, have you considered a thicker head gasket to make the difference?

Edit: oops... I see the .005 was on a different block... and a D9 block at that.
Tom

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Pistons above deck is no big deal. Just run a thicker gasket. Even if they're +.020 you can run a .060 gasket.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
block

Thanks for all the help on that guys!,I already have the engine together I was building .I was trying to hang on to this block but don't have any plans for it and need the cash.The deck on it is 10.3 and it is std bore.I will take a reasonable offer on it .please PM with offers!! I have the thick gaskets on my engine and they work fantastic with the blower and I was able to get the compression where I wanted it without any hassle !!

·
Registered
50 Posts
will your pistons fit my std 460 block and stock length rods and give me 10 - 10'5:1 CR?

Running late 80's block with ported DOVE heads

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pistons

It all depends on your deck height ,with dove c heads easily ,with d3 head and a good deck it should be close anyway.the machinest said it would be a possibility that the pistons would have a slap from being used ,have done it before myself and it had a little piston noise but it ran strong on that engine .this is 429 pistons and you can use your rods but you have to have a 429 crank .These are Trw forged pistons and they are heavier than the cast pistons but a lot stronger .hope this helps ,Nick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts