460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 460 and and a pair of Dove c heads and want to run a mild cam with factory components. What do I need to do? So far, the cam I pulled from the 429 and the 460 are the same.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Can you give a little more detail as to what you have?

What year is the 460? If you don't know can you give the casting number on the block?
Are the D0VE heads originally from this engine or bought separately?

If bought separate what heads are on the engine now? Casting number would help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
460 I'm guessing is early 70s cause of crank stamped 2Yabc and the 429 cranks says 4u. The head I'm gonna use are from the 429. Both engines are complete

·
Registered
131 Posts
If the engine is complete can you provide the casting numbers from the block and the heads? It will help determine the pistons and compression ratio with the D0VE heads.

At a minimum you will need to convert the D0VEs to adjustable valve train, determine the correct length pushrods and order those

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the engine is complete can you provide the casting numbers from the block and the heads? It will help determine the pistons and compression ratio with the D0VE heads.

At a minimum you will need to convert the D0VEs to adjustable valve train, determine the correct length pushrods and order those

Casting numbers aren't readable, but everything is the same. The pushrods are the same length and so is the cam so I'm guessing it may be just an even swap?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood your original post. Did the 460 come stock with the D0VE heads?

I thought you had a 460 of unknown origin and wanted to add D0VEs to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, both engines came with the perspective heads that are supposed to be with the engine. I just want to put the dove c heads that came off the 429 onto the 460

·
Registered
248 Posts
Sorry, both engines came with the perspective heads that are supposed to be with the engine. I just want to put the dove c heads that came off the 429 onto the 460
They both used the same heads. Only difference in the engine is the crank and pistons. 460s had a deeper dish to keep the comp down due to longer stroke.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts