460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to the group, but have already read several threads pertaining to different engine configurations. Lot's of good stuff in here!
I am in the process of building a 460 for my 69 F250 2wd. I have purchased a set of DOVE-C heads, unbuilt. I have heard that if you put stainless valves in them, you don't have to go to the hardened sets...True or false?
I would also welcome any suggestions for the build. I don't intend to race, but do want a viable street fighter. I am thinking of comp. ratio no higher than 10/1 and able to run on 91 octane pump gas. Maybe 450 - 500HP. All suggestions will be welcome.
Thanks for your help. cuznbuddy

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
False, they need hardened seats, they will need ported to make that power level
Not true. Unported, stock valve iron heads have proven capable of 450+HP on the dyno with a pump gas 429.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts

I have found the 460 builds and the 429 builds are pretty close in HP but the TQ Values are a little short on the 429, belive it or not the 429 is a close second in HP with the same parts!!! desktop dyno!!

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Is there a thread like his for 429's?
Please be aware, that chart is just one person's opinion of how to reach the desired power levels. There are an infinite number of combinations that will net similar results. Working closely with an experienced builder will allow you to maximize your power per $$$ vs. using a generic formula.

;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Please be aware, that chart is just one person's opinion of how to reach the desired power levels. There are an infinite number of combinations that will net similar results. Working closely with an experienced builder will allow you to maximize your power per $$$ vs. using a generic formula.

;)
Understood. New to BBF's but not new to playing with motors. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not true. Unported, stock valve iron heads have proven capable of 450+HP on the dyno with a pump gas 429.
Do you know where I can find the specs on this or one like this motor?

I have always been told I needed my heads ported so instead of touching my d0ve-c's, I self ported d3's. I would like to attempt to build another iron headed 460 with stock, unported heads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts