460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yeah, I saw that!

What was up with all the whining? It's like I was watching "Pinks" or something.

Am I wrong on this: the Ford "deep-staged," right, which is staging deep enough to set off both the pre-staging and staging bulbs? And, that's completely "legal" or is it illegal in some classes? And why did the Monza team call it "double-bulbing" and claim that it was cheating and disqualified the race?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The whole thing was a joke if you ask me, the "time frame & Hollywood" bullshit really kept the kid's from learning .

On the mustang side they bolted parts and was "given" a professional motor pre assembled on and on the monza side the chassis was over the kids head and the majority of the work was done by professional and adults.

Either way they should have kept all the "professionals" out of it, gave the kids a budget to build a 11 sec car that they could have and understand the knowledge to build and drive their selves.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
They both ran pretty consistent 9-teens, on their 2nd run, the Mustang rattled off an [email protected]

Doug... 8)

D

·
0 Posts
8.90 on a 10k budget.........Sounds like Eyeball level Hollywood BS to me.......

I like the previous post about the 11 second thing.

They should have given them both the same cars and 10k and let them go at it, Say Two New Mustangs or a couple of pick-up's........ or what ever two equal ones would be an let them engineer/design their combo's

A new Pick-up with some suspension work, sticky tires and a turbo maybe??? Something realistic !!! Not many guys hear can afford a Full Race Bischoff engine let alone some HS kids........

·
Registered
545 Posts
Don't recall the builder of the Mustang's motor right off - if you heard it, you'd recognize it. But they basically got a "gimme" 30K race motor.

If the track allows deep staging, then it's up to the driver to get in and in deep. Some tracks allow, some don't.

Courtesy staging is nice, but if double blub throws you then you need to work on your concentration. We someone goes double bulb, it just mean they have no idea where there are in the beams. It's usually a panic attack and a red light about to happen.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Falcon67 said:
Don't recall the builder of the Mustang's motor right off - if you heard it, you'd recognize it. But they basically got a "gimme" 30K race motor.

If the track allows deep staging, then it's up to the driver to get in and in deep. Some tracks allow, some don't.

Courtesy staging is nice, but if double blub throws you then you need to work on your concentration. We someone goes double bulb, it just mean they have no idea where there are in the beams. It's usually a panic attack and a red light about to happen.
Engine builder is Tony Bischof (BES racing engines)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yeah it turned out to be pretty crappy. No way the Monza would have been anywhere close to the mustang if not for it being a show where they had to make it interesting. I will have to say alot can be learned from running and putting together a stock suspension mustang with that much horsepower. The problem I have is how much were they really able to set the suspension up. Me and dad have done both with the first car with k-member and such it was a real pain to work on everything is in close quarters and not much places to move. And not always are parts just ready to bolt in also there always seemed to be alot of persuasion needed to put on together. The car we have now came as just the chassis and nothing else and we put it all together and it was much easier to work on and if set up properly pretty easy to bolt or weld everything on and ready to go. But setting each car up has been a pain and even now the tube car is not where we want it. But one of the kids from the show posts on NMRA's website and they are going to try and make some races this year with the car. The motor made 748 on motor alone so I do not even think they were spraying it much on any of their passes. The car was built to run 9.0-9.2 NA. So it was a great idea but much follow-through.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts