• 1000'

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drag Racers: 1/4 Vs. 1/8 Vs. 1000' Racing: Which do you prefer?

This may have already been done...If it has, I couldn't find it. I'm just curious to hear what the Blue Oval Boys have to say about it. I'm a Newbie to the Forum but, not to racing Big Block Fords'...I guess I haven't introduced myself either. 93 Notch, 557 w/glide, 4.10 gear, 2X3 full chassis, ladder bar, strut front, high 8, low 9 second ride. Anyway, my local track is 1/4 mile facility, newly resurfaced, plenty of shut down yet, they insist on running 1/8 mile for the faster car classes. I understand their reasoning but, I don't like it. I was just wondering what you folks have to say about it. By the way, this is by far the coolest Ford Site. I can tell that there a lot of knowlegeable and die-hard ford men here. It almost brings a tear.....Updated with the 1000' idea. Please vote on the poll.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
I run both and 1/4 is just more fun. Our main 1/4 track will run 1/8 for the faster cars when the track conditions are not ideal, and I'm fine with that. The shutdown is shorter on the 1/8 mile track we frequent, makes it harder on the brakes for sure.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I like the 1/4 ,but the 1/8 mile racing is way easier on parts in a faster car :lol:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Around here there are 4 tracks within decent driving distance, three are 1/8 mile & one is 1/4 mile (the Texas Motor Plex in Ennis). So the 1/8 mile tracks get a lot of use.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
I say 1/4 for me all the tracks i been to are 1/4 so its what im use too i dont know any that are 1/8 DE,MD,NJ ALL 1/4 that i know of they only run the 1/8 under bad weather conditions.

·
Registered
720 Posts
1/4 gives me the only chance to stick in 5th and ride so its more fun to me .but 95% of the time its 1/8 that i race and i think its more competitive because the first ,middle and the last part of the track is shorter.

·
Registered
479 Posts
In the old days, 1/4! Now, I like 1/8... Some reasons are, it is easier on the parts, the program goes a lot quicker, it is safer, and it sure makes you a better bracket racer! I like working at an 1/8 mile track too, clean-ups are shorter, safety is better, I'm sure insurance for the track is less.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I'm an ole fashion Dragracer,I believe in the driver doing the racing instead of the car(shifting and Leaving). I also like 1/4 mile best. It's also a test to see if you assembled your engine the right way. I have a Chevy racer friend that hates 1/4 mi. He said after he gets past the 1/8 he holds his breath and prays it don't blow. :shock: :oops: :lol: Rick

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
To me as a spectator at the starting line, I can see which win light goes on easier at a 1/8 mile drag strip. :lol:

I think a 1/4 mile drag strip shows more of what HORSEPOWER can do vs. how the CAR is reacting. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
I raced dragsters before and everytime i think i got um cause the finish is right there i could taste it and their nowhere in site im like yea then whoosh their win lite comes on and im looking at the back of those darn things.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Like I say pretty much all we do is 1/4, but I give the 1/8 mile stuff a shot, its just not as much of a thrill.

I dont drag race because its a business, I dont do it for the fans, I do it because its my place in life where its just me in my own little world and to be one with a car I built...........

1/8th mile is like having sex and then halfway through its all over....... :shock:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
In my car it's alot easier to judge the finish line in the 1/4.It seems like at about 800 feet it settles down and I'm just riding along the rest of the way. Either one's fun ,but i'd hate to try to keep a motor together running 1/4 every weekend :roll:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts