460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To date, my car has run a best of 12.29 @ 118 mph. This was with a 7.5" rear end, stock rear suspension, 2.73's & open diff. Every time I shift into 2nd gear (when at the drag strip), the tire spin...I let off and get back in it.

Tonight, I finished putting in a different axle. It's an 8.8 out of a Mark VII w/ 3.27's and an oem limitied slip (auburn style). After taking it for a quick jaunt down the highway, I can already feel a dramatic difference in the way this thing drives!

When the rear tires let loose, the car tries to come around on me pretty quick.

Since I don't have the money/resources for a set of sticky tires yet, I'm going to continue using my 205/65/15's. I'm fully aware that this limited slip is going to react different than the old rear axle.

If the car starts getting out of shape (while at the drag strip), what do I do? Stay in it? Let off? After watching videos of wrecks, people often say what they did or didn't do right-- I don't want to be in one of those videos ;).

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Keep it floored and steer towards the sun!! LOL :D
Okay, just kidding.......its best to let off the pedal when you feel that its too far sideways. Let off and live to race another day!! keeping your machine intact is always better than wrecking it for the crowd!!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
96Mustang460cid said:
When the rear tires let loose, the car tries to come around on me pretty quick............Since I don't have the money/resources for a set of sticky tires yet, I'm going to continue using my 205/65/15's.
What costs your wallet more, a set of new slicks......or repairing a scuffed & bent car with a gardrail rash? Get the slicks now or take your chances, it's your choice.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Seeing that your car is scratching for traction, I recomend that you remove it immediatly and crate it up and sell raffle tickets to your wonderful friends here @ 460ford.com...lol

guardrail rash
Those two words say it all.

Like watching Big Daddy back in the day..... When all else fails...pedal it down the track.

I've had my share of driveshafts spitting out, cracked wheel bearings from playing "Dukes of Hazzard" flying over hills etc. Nothing like being in a 5300lb. truck , airborn, coming down on one front tire...lol Thank you Lord for moving that tree! :shock: When buzzed, one tends to forget that steering only works when in contact with pavement! Lean! Lean! lol

I'd hate to see you on any video with a guardrail magnet. I guess you could figure out at what RPM's the tires break loose ( yet tracks change...lol) until you can get better sneakers. Good luck! :D

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I can only say that fishtailing can be fun and entertaining at low speeds. Above 100 mph, it blows badly and usually requires an early trip home for clean shorts.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Now that it's getting power to both tires maybe it will hook and turn the best E.T. ever.The uneven traction on the streets can make a limited slip exciting.Try to be smooth with the throttle and double check you bolts and bushings.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I have found

I have found that running cheap tires and a traction lock rear can be real fun. :shock: From what it feels like, an open rear lets one tire spin while the other rear tire helps you keep tracking straight. When they both spin, there is nothing to stop you from swinging like a pendulum. You'll really notice it in the rain. :eek:

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Michael,

See if you can find some used slicks somewhere or maybe some drag radials. I know some of the outlaw true street racers in my area that run a new set of 28 X 10.50's for about 20 runs and then sell them for like $100 and they last forever when bracket racing.

If you foot brake it and don't have a loose converter then you should be OK with the stock axles for a little while but sooner or later it will break one of the 28 spline axles. Since you have an automatic and you are'nt launching it that hard then you may be surprised at how long they will last. Only time will tell :wink:

If you feel it coming around on you get out of it ASAP. NOW if you find yourself out of control and having to correct and then over correct THEN as a last resort stomp on it and just spin it around.

Good luck at the track next time!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
545 Posts
You might be running 11's at 120 - you should look into C clip eliminators with the tires. Break a stocker or lose the clip down track and it'll be out of the housing before you can get it stopped.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Slicks

The track is much stickier then backroads so it'll go a little straighter. But it just so happens that I have a set of MT Slicks 28.5x10x15 mounted on weld draglites, 15x8, rim screws and all. Just taking up space in my storage locker. Make me an offer. Shipping from zip 84737. wt about #32 each.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts