460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine is going into a front engine sand rail for desert racing. The only restrictions for me are my own goals. 500 hp would be plenty just need to find the motor parts that will last for the long haul.

Rail weighs a shade over 1900 lbs with an iron 408 windsor/c4 and 9 inch rear.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I don't Call 6500 rpm extreme !!that's a street motor in my books ! 9300rpm with a 4.500 crank is extreme!! my motor hit the big chip 14 times in 11 passes at the last race !! 3 on the last pass and the "Kid" lost that round by .0007 at the stripe !!!!!!!!!!!!! did a bearing check and the motor is still Happy !!!
Frank

·
Registered
928 Posts
biggest recommendation I could add is make sure whoever balances knows what they are doing and does it right. That would be the biggest thing to keep it alive for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"frank" I agree with your statement about the rpm range. 6500 is not much at all compared to a drag motor turning over 9000. Its just the extended amount of time it operates at those rpms and rough terrain that scares me. I believe the balancing and oiling system will make or brake it. Im beginning to think Spending the extra money on a better machine shop would overcome buying high dollar heads in my case. You know sticking with the aluminium cobra jets and build off a virgin bore block.

thanks alot
vince

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
The engine is going into a front engine sand rail for desert racing. The only restrictions for me are my own goals. 500 hp would be plenty just need to find the motor parts that will last for the long haul.

Rail weighs a shade over 1900 lbs with an iron 408 windsor/c4 and 9 inch rear.
Did'nt know there was any desert's near Cattlettburg Ky.:p:p:eek:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
only big pipelines and hill climbs... There are some local sand drag strips. I spend a week out west to play in the sand box haha. They can keep the heat

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
some call them beaches, others call them racetracks. If the scenery is good.. its a beach, if its not so good....racetrack....kinda a rodeo/round-up if you get where i'm goin. theres too many beaches like that here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts