460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Fellas I am going to run a dual quad blue thunder intake w/ backward mounted 465 Holley's (vac sec) in my 60' Starliner. When the time comes to buy a new distributor, I would like to get one of "The Mad Porters" recurved Durapark distributors to replace the single point Motorcraft w/ Ignitor that it currently has. Has anyone run this combination and will it clear the Carbs? If this is not possible can the single point be recurved and rebuilt like the Duraspark? I know that MSD and Mallory make good distributors but I am on a thin budget and cannot afford them right now. Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I have been using a small cap on my DuraSpark. I don't know if the large cap and adapter will fit. I am using two MrGasket 9" air cleaners. Had to modify them to fit.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fordman59 thank you for coming to the rescue again. I am using the 8 inch hellings and stellings air cleaners. This is why I dont have money for the distributor (LOL). I was not aware that there was more than one cap that would fit a Duraspark. I only knew of the one that looks like a belly-up dead spider. Is that the one you are speaking of or if not can you be more specific about which one you are using. Is it just a points type cap? Thank you again.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys, I didn’t know that the Duraspark came with a small cap. Can anyone second that response about the plug wire size? Not saying anyone is wrong, I just need as much info on these as I can, as I have never used one. I am not a very good mechanic and don't do well with "surprises". What about the ignition control boxes? Can anyone recommend a simple compatible one that can be had on a budget?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I picked up a Mallory HyFire 6A on eBay for $60 bucks and got a new Mallory unilite billet distributor with mech advance for $90. I didn't think that was a bad deal for the whole setup for $150. Most people want the MSD sticker on their boxes and don't realize that Mallory makes a very competent product that is as good as if not better than the MSD units. There are definitely some deals to be had on eBay by searching for either of them....also try craigslist.

Just my two cents ;)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
if youre just driving it on the street and want it cheap and reliable, why not go with the stock duraspark box? doesnt get much simpler to install-just wiring clips

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you both for your responses. I will check in to both possibilities. That Hyfire looks good and I dont care about having the MSD name showing. In fact I plan to hide the box from view to keep an old school look. Darrin1999, can the stock box still be purchased new? I am a little afraid of used electronics from 1974. It sounds like a good choice for my application, I just never cosidered it because I saw a picture in a performance book and it looked complicated. If its that easy and cheap maybe the may to go.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
yep you can get them new from any auto parts store... being a 60 its points wiring, so you just need to run one wire to the fuse box for ignition power, and then use the one for the points for the other wire... then the other end just plugs directly into the duraspark distributor... doesnt get much easier :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts