460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
A big loss for the sport of Drag Racing...but he left a Big Legacy for all the competitors involved in this Type of Racing...Rest in Peace Mr. Nicholson...

·
Registered
476 Posts
I never met him, never seen him race, never seen him on tv even, but he was one of my hero's. A lot of people don't know that Dyno was the first into the 7's with a PS car, and he did it with our beloved 385 series BBF. He didn't have the benefit of C460 heads, or even A460's, there was no 4.5 cranks, yet he ran a 7 back in the 70's on what was probably a marginal racing surface on the match race circut. RIP my friend. :cry:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Innovative!

One of my favorite Pro Stock cars was when Dyno & Glidden both came out with '70 Mustangs (somewhere in the mid 1970's) to take advantage of the rule changes NHRA made to penalize the winning 351-C/short wheelbase combos from the previous year.

They (NHRA) had added more weight to the short wheelbase Ford combos hoping to help out the whining & crying chebby PS guys. NHRA figured the Ford guys only had the short wheelbase cars (re: Pinto) to work with, they forgot about the older 108" wheelbase '70 Mustang. The '70 Stang was new enough that it could still be used according to the body/year rules ('69 Stang was too old).

Because NHRA never thought to add more weight to any Ford PS with a longer wheelbase than a Pinto, Dyno, Glidden, & Roush (with a 4-door Maverick no less!) all built longer cars.

Nothing like finding a "hole" in the rules to jab a much deserved thumb in the eye of the rule makers (LOL).

**edit** The NHRA.com Dyno story link at the top don't work for me, does it work for anyone else?

·
Registered
476 Posts
My memory is faint on this one, but I remember reading about a match race between Dyno and Lee Edwards. Edwards (I think) was running a 500" BBC, and Dyno had a 351 C. That's back when they did the multiple burnouts in rosin to try and get traction. The story went something like "the little Cleveland was going straighter on every dry hop. Edwards was in trouble, but he didn't know it yet" That little 351C whupped a 500 " BBC - how I don't know. Maybe the car was lighter and had better gears, maybe traction was so bad the 'Cleve had an advantage, maybe Dyno was THAT good...I don't know. All I know is I was some kind of impressed! :shock:

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
Dyno Don

I have had the pleasure of meeting the man he is was a truely nice guy and smart as a whip. I bought his old Pro Stock top end off the cars you just taked about whipping the BBC :lol: I still look at them and am still amased on some of the stuff he did. Oh and for you guy's that didn't know this small block was dynoed in 1973 or 74 and built 700 hp from a 351 cu in engine @ 8500 rpm not bad for a ford huh? and a small block no less. just think what he could have done if they let him have a BBF and some good parts....

Dyno Don you will be missed by all your loyal Blue Oval fans.
Gods got a great man with you by his side, and enjoy that Race Track in the sky

Your old Friend
Randy

·
Registered
479 Posts
I got to meet him when he came to Texas Raceway (Kennedale) with the Pro-Stock truck. We just wandered up to look, and he started talking to us about all kinds of stuff. Everthing from the engines, to how bad Ford sucks now, they would not even give them a truck body to use! Because of him, the 1964 Comet has been my favorite for a long time....One day I may have one....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts