460 Ford Forum banner

Dzus Fastners On Foxbody Hood?

8K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  MrScharfenberger 
#1 ·
Anybody using dzus fastners on a 1987 -- 1993 hood? If so how did you fasten the very front of the hood in the center? Did you have to attach some home made brackets off the front radiator support to be able to get the fasteners to grab onto the wire clips? The sides and back of the hood are easy. It is the very front of the hood in the middle that is making me think a bit. I'm pretty sure I know how to get them done. I just thought I would throw this out there for anybody that had forged this ground ahead of me. If you happen to have some pictures of what is under the hood and the brackets you used to get them attached letting me take a peek at them would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
We get the dzus with the flat style spring plate weld a 1/16 flat bar on it with the plate sticking up strait and drill out the pop rivet that holds the bumper cover to the head light header panel and bolt it on right there then run a small 1/16 round bar from side to side and put one in the middle.

We don't have any built back up we ran yesterday or I would post a pic I will try to get some more built next week or so.

#5 ·
Hey thanks for posting the pic's. Between the pic's you posted and what GMsmkr said I think I got a handle on this now. I'm not sure why but my brain was slaved to keeping the fastener brackets attached to metal somehow and the only thing that was close was the radiator support. It certainly makes more sense to attach them to the nose piece. I'm glad I asked the question. I would have come out with some f'd up metal brackets coming off the radiator support. I'm sure they would have worked but it would have taken a lot longer to engineer and they would have been pretty ugly under the hood. Thanks again guys! Most helpful!

#6 ·
If you need better pics I can take some with measurements too. You guys helped me with lots here do I'd be glad to return the favor. :D

#7 ·
If you could get a couple of pic's from the top & front that would be great. I'm out there today working on the Mustang. It is sooooo close to being ready to race it isn't funny. I've just been so tied up with work this year that finding the time to work on the thing is hard. Then when I do have time I'm usually so worn out that I just don't feel like doing anything with it. Thank god for the 3 day weekend! I may just take the thing around the block for the first time tomorrow or Monday.

#8 ·
I can get some pics tomorrow afternoon. We are camping for the night but I'll be home just after noon. I'll be in the garage anyways putting my buddies 7.3 powerstroke back in his 02 f250 4x4. The oil pan was rusty and finally let go on the way back from the last race at our local track 2 weeks ago. New oil pan, manifolds and a turbo upgrade completed this week by yours truly. He had the tranny rebuilt too so it should haul the mail now with the tuner turned up LOL...she goes back between the fenders tomorrow.:D I hear ya on the hard time finishing the car, I finally got mine out 2 weeks ago for the first time this year. Made 11 passes, best in crappy air was a 10.25 at 135, but it was 1.46 or 47 in the 60 all weekend. Very consistant so I was happy .

#10 ·
Sorry for the delay, things were nuts here yesterday...LOL...If these don't help just tell me what you need to see.;)

The fasteners on the front of my hood are 19" center to center of the fasteners.

#11 ·
Man I can't tell you how much that helps. Thank you very much for posting those pic's. It pretty much shows me exactly where they need to be. VERY HELPFUL.

Are those screws that hold down the brackets self tapping or do you have nuts on the other side of them to hold them in place? Any kind of a backing plate on the other side?

Also what brand hood do you have? I picked mine up for a guy in Cincinnati that makes them. It was $150. Now that I'm trying to line it up with the fenders and front end I now see why it was only $150. It definitely is not a Harwood product but it will have to do (for now anyway...).

#12 ·
They are not reinforced at all. That plastic is hard and thick so it holds the screw ok but you could beef it up on the underside if you wanted. My hood is a Harwood I believe - it came with the car.

#13 ·
Man I hate Dzus fasteners! They were a real pain in the butt to install. I ended up having to squash the little spring clips that fasten to the underside of the bracket so the screw clip would catch them. I had to do this despite the brackets sitting flat against the underside of the hood. I also followed the instructions to the letter. The good news is that it is done now and will work well. I do like the way they look but 4 hood pins sure would have been a lot easier.

With all that being said thanks for posting the pic's. It really was helpful!

#14 ·
No trouble man, glad to help when I can...Too funny that we are talking about these hood fasteners, my buddy called tonight to see if I had any spares...LOL...He lost his el-camino hood last race at the big end...It flew about 50ft in the air.:eek:...It landed on it's bottom in the grass next to the track so it wasn't a total loss. I watched it sail through the air myself...LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.