460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly is this ? #320629131802 I can't imagine it holding .0001 tolerances let alone indexing the throws.

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I used one of those back in the 70's. It would hold .0001 tolerance, but had no way to index. But if you were repairing in the frame, who cared about indexing!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thats for grinding big truck, equipment, BIG boat cranks. Stuff that it is not practical to remove the block and crank for machining. Doubt you could get any use out of it for automotive applications.

Aaron

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was using it to grind flathead ford cranks in the car. It had a motor that went in place of the starter to turn the crank and it really just hung on the crank throw to grind it. Never figured out to do a main with it.

·
Registered
858 Posts
What exactly is this ? #320629131802 I can't imagine it holding .0001 tolerances let alone indexing the throws.
When I turned 16 my Dad bought me a 53 Studebaker Commander Fastback. Neat car but had a rod knock. The next door neighbor was a mechanic and he brought one of those units home to grind one of the throws in my engine. We just pulled the oil pan and shoved the piston up in the bore. Worked fine and had no problems for the 3 years that I drive the car.

Thought I would never see one again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts