460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Why do you want 4 bolt mains, rpm's or intended power? I am very leary about buying stuff off e-bay unless you know the seller is straight up. And there rating don't tell the whole story.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have bought several sets of "CAT" brand caps off ebay from seller "Crankshaft Depot" They are good inexpensive caps . The seller shipped quick , good transaction. Many people on here have used them. The only thing we have learned is when doing the line bore/line hone tell the machinist to go slow taking more small cuts rather than big ones makes a better finish. Paul Kane on the forum has a good article and pictures on his web site: www.highflow dynamics.com These will add a bunch of strength to your block.

·
Premium Member
5,588 Posts
The billet main caps in the auction are Pro Comp main caps. We have used them on 4-bolt conversion and they work excellently. While I do not advocate the use of Pro Comp parts with moving parts in them, a single piece of billet steel--such as these main caps--is perfectly fine since they need complete machining anyway. The Pro Comp main caps in the auction are strong enough to support as much horsepower as the passenger car block can take. They are designed to be fit to the D0VE-A block exclusively, although others have fitted them to standard webbed blocks with success and additional mods.

Paul

·
Registered
307 Posts
Question @Paul Kane.I have a Dove"A" block.These cap's will fit directly on or will i still have to have them line bored?

·
Registered
724 Posts
caps/DOVE A block

They will fit right on that block, which is the easiest block to do because the casting web is equal to the pan rail, and is machined flat from the factory, BUT ALL BLOCKS need to be at least line honed if not line bored when changing caps. The main bearing alignment has to be very precise. The results on your block will be excellent.

·
Registered
307 Posts
It's been so long since my motor was built.So adding the Cap's to a Dove"A"block is a good fit.What is the going charge to have a shop properly machine the block for these cap's?anybody have a rough guesstimate??

·
Registered
9 Posts
There was a write up on this forum a while back about putting these caps on a d1ve block. Actually I think it might have been a d9 block. Anyway if you can find it, its a great write up.

I used that method with great success last winter on a d1ve block. Still holding together, 935 hp bracket car.

·
Premium Member
5,588 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts