460 Ford Forum banner

EFI For 429 in tandem truck

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  ByronRACE 
#1 ·
We are looking at changing from a 750 carb to EFI on a truck. It is a Ford tandem with a stroker 429. Steel crank turned down to 2.2 journals and .030 over,Hyd roller, 8.5-1 comp.,ported D3VE heads, performer intake. Would a Holley 950 system be the best or are there other systems out there? I was thinking of the 700 CFM version.Thanks
Glenn

#4 ·
Then go cheap...

Put 5.0L Mustang EFI on it and get a chip burned.

The distributor comes from a 1988 EFI 460; or you can take any other year 460 distributor and easily put 5.0L guts inside it by drilling/tapping a few holes.

Weld a couple of oxygen sensor bungs to the exhaust somewhere right after the 4-to-1 junction.

Use the Ford Motorsport "hot rod" harness intended for the 5.0L mustang, and get the sensor kit.

Get any of these Mustang boxes. A9L, A9P, A9S, A9T, A3M, A3M1, C3W, C3W1, X3Z.

Use a 90mm diameter mass air meter from a 2001 Lightning truck, get a filter adapter for the face of it so you can run a cone filter. Get the pigtail for the MAF harness as well; you'll need it...the connector is different than the ford stuff.

Use 42lb/hr injectors from the same application...1999 lightning truck.

Have a chip made for the 460 firing order, the lightning maf, and the 42's a long with your engine displacement. If you want me to do this for you, that's what I do.

For the intake, use any conversion manifold you want but make sure it uses a Ford throttle body and has provisions for a Ford TPS sensor and a Ford Idle-Air control solenoid.

Put it all together, and drive it.

This is well within the realm of factory EFI giving you the ability to service the thing at your local parts store and/or ford dealer. 42lb/hr injectors can do 450+rwhp and 500+ft-lbs at the tires without a problem. So will the mass-air meter I recommended.

For a fuel pump, use the external Bosch Porche Turbo pump. I can look up a part number if you need it. For lines, you can get away with -6, but I'd run a -8 feed and a -6 return to give yourself some headroom. Remember, EFI runs at 40psi; you don't need the big line diameter like a low pressure carb setup.

That's what I'd do, especially for a driver application like this. No need to spend big dollars on all the fancy aftermarket EFI stuff. If you can do a little fabrication yourself, or can weld aluminum and build/adapt your own intake manifold, you can do the whole thing for probably around a grand using boneyard parts and a little creativity. For the power you're talking about you could even use the stock 460 EFI lower manifold and build a simple box upper that adapts to a ford throttle body...that'd save you a bunch of money and effort.

Byron

#7 ·
jones said:
Byron, what about the fuel rail?

How much hp could this system support? Is the 90mm mas the limiting factor?

Where do you start running into problems with this setup?

Fuel rail - factory rails and factory regulator up to about 500rwhp is fine. Beyond that, go to an aftermarket rail; any manufacturer will do. If you're using a factory EFI lower, this might be challenging to find.

For the truck in question, the stock EFI with high impedance injectors surely is a perfect fit. Without an injector driver box, 55lb/hr injectors is the current maximum size; so that would be around 750hp max. This is easily overcome, however.

As far as the power limit of factory Ford EFI; there isn't one really. You can fit a low impedance injector driver box up to the system and drive as much fuel injector as you want. For example, a set of 160lb/hr units can handle 1500+hp. Or, run two driver boxes and 16 injectors and double the power capability, and so on. No limit.

As far as calibration, you have to start performing calibration tweeks that I'd consider "advanced" if power gets above about 900-1000ish horsepower. The MAF curve top end limit rails somewhere around there; so beyond that you have to do some calibration tweeks to make the system work as intended...but it's entirely doable. There really is no hard power limit. Mass air meters can be had in any calibration required...for any airflow you could imagine; that's not a problem.

Shoot the moon...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.