460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the 460 game, but I have learned a lot by reading on this forum; but I haven't seen a lot about building the EFI engines. I have an 89 F250 with a stock 460 and C6 that I use to haul a camper and 5th wheel trailer. I was surprised at how it seems to lack power for towing; with the same load my cousin with a 5.7 HEMI can pull away from me on the highway and get better mileage doing it :/

SO, that leads me to opening up the ole 460 EFI and see what torque mods can be made. ALL this truck does is highway tow and will live in that 2500-3200 rpm range, so top end isn't a concern. The emission system and cat has been deleted. Stock manifolds into a Y-pipe and a single 3" out the back. I planned on changing cams and milling the heads to bring up the compression to 9.0-9.5:1, I still want to run 87 octane.

I didn't know if because it was an EFI engine with smaller ports if that would change peoples opinion of what cam to use. I have read in a few threads that the Elgin E-1160-P was great for towing. But the 1160 says RV or light vs the E-966-P which says heavy....... I don't know what they are considering light, but RV's are usually heavy and take power to push down the highway.

So what are your recommendations for 9.5:1 compression and camshaft?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your best bang for the $$ is headers. Start there and then change the cam and raise the compression if you still want more power.
My 95 460 EFI class A MH really woke up when I installed a Banks Power Pack.

Richard

1 - 2 of 2 Posts