460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm not sure how they hold up in the mud, but alot of the Mustang and drag racing crowd use Ford Taurus or Dodge Durango fans because of their high airflow rate. If you are looking for a junkyard part and not a new one that is...

·
Registered
631 Posts
96 taurus fan is what i use works real good on my 466 running mud drags even when i run back to back to back never gets over 185. paid 26 dollars for it at junkyard

·
Registered
232 Posts
Do a google search for Lincoln Mark VIII fan. That's what I have on my 77, and it fits the radiator like it was made for it. I will post a pic tomorrow if I get a chance. The only issue is they draw a ton of amps, especially on start up. Standard relay kits won't last long. You would need to make your own wiring setup. They move an extraordinary amount of air though. I'll switch mine on at 180 and it will pull it down to 165(thermostat number) in short order. I paid 20 beans for it at a boneyard.

-Jared

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was able to find one of these fans, can I just wire direct without any problems, just using a toggle switch

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Thats how my eletricfan is Just make sure your switch is big enough to carry the fan

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was able to find one of these fans, can I just wire direct without any problems, just using a toggle switch
I had a continuos duty solenoid sitting on a shelf, so that's what I used to get it running. They look like a standard Ford starter solenoid, but handle 80 amps and are designed for continuos use. I think they are about 25 bucks at NAPA. Simple as hell to wire up with a toggle. Eventually I will probably change it out to a relay with a temperature switch, but for a mudder or a puller that sees little to no street time I think it works great. I switch it on before a pull when I'm getting my oil temp up, then again right before I leave the line. My water temp is about 165 when I leave the line generally, and it ends up close to 190 or more by the end of the hook. The fan will usually have it back to 180 or so by the time I get back to the trailer. I put quite a few road miles on my truck as well(10:1 472), and I only switch on the fan if I come to a stop light. Other than that the radiator seems to do a good job. My .002.

-Jared

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mark VIII

I took the Mark VIII route and used an electric fan wiring kit from summit. A lot of folks will tell you that it is not a big enough relay to handle these fans, BUT I have not had any problems with it (466 in a pulling truck). I have it wired to come on at 180 deg with a switch option as well. I happen to see a kit on the painless site recently that is specifically designed for the Mark VIII and Tauraus fan upgrades.
http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcatalog/largeview.php?SearchField=30100&SearchAll=4x4 OffRoad

I paid $20 for my fan at a pick and pull.

Kirk

·
Registered
178 Posts
What did you guys do to get this fan to fit my doesnt clear the pulleys. ?
I used a jigsaw with guide plate and trimmed about 1/2" off of the face of the shroud where it meets the radiator (making sure not to take too much so that the fan doesn't hit the radiator). Then I used the plastic zip style electric fan kit to attach it to the radiator. It fit my aluminum radiator like it was made for it! I ended up with about 3/4" space between the fan motor and the end of my water pump. Take a look at this link:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/10/Mark8Fan/

Good luck!

Kirk

·
Registered
232 Posts
My pulleys cleared the fan(shifted as far to the [driver side, if I recall] as possible) by about 1/4". With chassis flex and regular street driving they have clearanced themselves the rest of the way.

-Jared

1 - 14 of 14 Posts