460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 505 cube stroker 429 that I am building. The stock aluminum water pump is still on there and I was wondering what kind of improvement (if any) I will see in cooling efficiency, horsepower, and operating temperatures if I switch to a good electric water pump. The engine is a high performance competition build with a lot of compression and a lot of cam that should make a little over 700 HP on motor.

So what will an electric water pump be worth for me?

Cyco

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't think it would be worth any real HP difference, but it will give you the chance to cool the engine without the engine running (between rounds if your drag racing it). Street driven, I'd probably just keep driving it off the crank and not worry about it. My .02

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Really, I was always led to believe they were worth atleast 15hp? I know all companies seem to inflate the power increase so I would be interested to see some real world dyno results. I am sure someone on the board has tested the difference.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just look at the application. If you are just drag racing the engine the elec. pump would be the best to use. But for a streeter or combo use I wouldn't worry about the 10 or 15 hp the crank driven pump may use.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
For horsepower, a mechanically driven water pump is just a small "water brake" driven by the crankshaft so, the higher the RPM it runs, the more horsepower it will eat.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
ive seen tests with SBC and typically a electric water pump will net u about 5hp at the crank. Thing with a mechanical pump is that it really doesnt use that much power until u get higher in the RPMs as rmcomprandy stated. most of the power u gain with an electric pump is high in the RPM range. But there are draw backs to electric pumps, they only flow a set amount of water, they arent good at cooling in the higher RPM ranges (mechanical pumps flow more as the RPM increases as electrics only flow one rate) and that rate isnt a crazy amount, so u could have cooling issues in the higher RPM ranges. Electric pumps dnt last as long as a mechanical pump.

On a street car mechanical pumps are better/more cost affective/longer service length. But on a track/race car i would go electric bc the engine is only running for like 5min and then it sits. You could also switch the pump on when its waiting in the lanes between runs as bigdave65 said.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. This is a drag only application where the engine produces over 700 HP on motor, 950+ on nitrous, and spins to 7000 RPM. 15 extra HP is a BIG difference to me. Does that change anyone's thoughts on the matter?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts