460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall I replace/ my altenator because I could only get about 11 volts out of my system, that didn't solve the problem but I found a bad wire connection on one of the coil wires. That fixed the problem until this spring now I have the same problem and I checked all the wires and they seem fine. Today I put voltmeter on altenator hot lead and got 11.75 volts coming out of it. I can't figure out what's going on, it worked fine a couple of weeks ago when I went to get gas but not anymore.
Help!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Assuming you have an alternator with built in regulator. There is a screw on the regulator with an arrow point to it, marked "ground here to test". Have you done this?

Richard

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No but I grounded it to the engine block, it's hard to get to the alternator on my truck

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
If it's a one wire alternator you have to rev it up past a certain RPM before it gets "excited" and will start charging then. Have you revved it up and checked output then?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's a one wire alternator you have to rev it up past a certain RPM before it gets "excited" and will start charging then. Have you revved it up and checked output then?
Is 4000 RPM enough?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the small wire that goes from spade connector on alternator to inside under dash the exciter wire? Where does it go?I have a Ron Francis wiring system and the wire from alternator is marked Alt. field.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts