460 Ford Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I plan to add a buss bar.
Which brings me to the question: what is the suggested method for fuses - in-line fuse holders, mini Fuse box, or connecting to the vehicles existing fuse block? Is any one better than the others?
Using a buss bar partially answers your question. ;) I will say that fuse boxes are a form of fused buss bar, simplifying the component placement. Existing stuff (fuse boxes, ignition switches, etc) are often a no-no, as they were usually designed only for the original loads. However, if you calculate all the loads, and they are within the rated capacity of your current box or switch, then go for it.
Out of curiousity, do you work in aviation, or just follow those standards bc they are a high standard?
Both, plus racing design and other tech pursuits… and I like to do stuff once and forget about it. Not by over-designing or over-building, but design and build the right ways for the right reasons. Big difference. Approach stuff by addressing purpose and goals, and success comes much easier. Have fun! :cool:

·
Registered
1978 E350 7.5L Class C Motorhome
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Finding time to gather all the parts I still need and finalize any issues with my circuit. I have a question that I THINK I know the answer to but want to be sure:
The original single spade oil pressure sender runs to the gauge - which is of course connected to the ignition. Unless I'm mistaken for some reason, I should be able to use this original wire to connect to the battery through the Common spade on the new OPS.
Otherwise, I'll need to fit 2 OPS's to a single port and keep the circuits separate.

A friend has found an 8A-rated momentary switch lying around as well. Seeing as this is on the switch side of the circuit, I'm guessing this should be a plenty high rating. Or should I try and match this switch rating to the 10A Fuse suggested on the load side?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Possibly usable, but I would need to know about the OP sender, either that it's a switch (dash light) or sensor (analog gauge), and if it (presumably as a light switch) grounds the circuit when below a minimum pressure? The original wiring diagram could also answer these questions. No need to possibly confuse things making assumptions at this point.

I would not change to a power-switching circuit just yet with that momentary switch. Let's confirm how we are controlling everything before choosing parts. ;)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts