460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Simple.

Open lid on the circle file cabinet, toss filter in. Close lid.

Those air cleaners rain foam when they dry out, or catch fire if you have a back fire.

Some opinions may vary.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know its not the best choice, but i'm getting a flutter like situation in 3 gear when going down the track I'm not using a air filter when this happens so, I thought I would try this and see what happens. I dont have hood clearance or I would have a real air filter on it. Probably gonna put a torker II on it this winter so I can run a good filter. I think the air coming into my scoop is messing with the carb at higher mph, causing the flutter. ? Pulls good thru 1-2

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Shane, I doubt it matters, but that last run I made last sat was without an air cleaner. I let the motor cool down too much and she would not fire, I liked to burnt the starter up and in a mad dash ripped the hood off and squirted some gas down it to light it off, in a hurry to get to the lanes I left off the air cleaner.

Made no difference in performance with 142 mph wind flowing over the carb.

That said I'm a big fan of an air filter, as long as it is not too close to the carb vents and of proper size. I have one I'll lend ya, but you'll have to pull the hood off.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will they let me run without a hood ? I also got some new springs from Lem 8) Oh, and aset of DSS 1.73 rocker arms

·
Registered
371 Posts
hows your fuel pressure on the top end? My blue pump with 3/8" line on the small block, had a flutter when it went into 3rd gear. pressure dropped to 5# from 8#. I just adjusted the regulator up to 9.5# it worked for me. But you may have a entirely different situation. Jason

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
sounds lean,

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, my fuel pressure did drop from around 7 to 5.5 or 5 on the top end the weekend before last. 130gph holley machanical, 1/2 inch/ -8 fuel line from tank to the pump, -10 dending unit. I'm thinking my pump may not be being all it can be..
Thanks for the air filter info didnt know they were out there !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts