460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if anyone has ever used EMT Conduit pipe for header pipes when building their own? I want to build a set of upright headers for my mud race truck. I understand that emt pipe is coated with galvanized and would need to be sanded off before use. I saw a youtube video of somebody who did it but no updates if it worked. I want to know if the pipe would melt or warp or whatever. I would be using 2' on my 460 for my 1985 f150. Motor is currently stock but will be getting timing chain and new carb and intake and recurve distrib. Just curious to know and would like to see pics or videos if anyone knows. I know its not best choice and it would be easier to just buy a set upright headers. Thanks

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
EMT or electrical metallic tubing, is thin wall with a weak seam.....tried it on one of our racing quads and it failed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did it melt or just come apart or collapse? How soon did it fail?

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
It lasted just two heats. Your biggest problem will be TRYING to attach the EMT to the header flange.

R

·
0 Posts
i disagree. but first, avoid breathing the smoke when doing any kind of welding on galvanized steel, heavy metals-health hazard.... brazing will work with galv and mild steel. your ac welder, buzz box, and 6011 rod works. if you are using a small mig machine, sanding off the galv helps. you will see a slight color change when you get past the galv. another way to get the galv gone is to burn it off with your gas torch. all of this takes "techniques". practice on junk first....... good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts