460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm about to buy an enclosed car trailer for my crack habit. ...I mean car habit.

There is a dealer here in Louisville that sells Homesteader enclosed car trailers. I'm looking at a 20 footer v-nose with the 5200 lbs axles & brakes on both axles. They want $5250 cash. No discounts. My questions are as follows:

1) Is Homesteader a decent brand?

2) Does $5250 sound about right for a new 20 ft trailer? It isn't fancy but it will keep the rain off the car and I can lock it up and spend the night in a motel when I'm out of town.

3) How many years do these things last? The plywood floors have me a bit nervous.

I really can't find any good deals on used ones around here and I've been looking for months. Also I'd like a 24 footer but the road in front of my house and driveway entrance will not allow this. A 24 footer will scrape the driveway on the way out and the road on the way in.

This is the one I was thinking about getting: http://louisville.craigslist.org/rvd/5003224905.html

Let me know your thoughts on this as I have no experience with these trailers. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have a 20 ft diamond cargo got it in Georgia for $3800 its a nice trailer the wood floor has not given me any problems so far but it did come with a five year warranty, most all trailers are made in Georgia and if you are willing to drive you can save a little by getting it directly from the factory

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Chris, thats a little pricey for that model trailer, like obxboader said his was 3800. from the factory, and is the going rate for a bare model, I'm looking as well :)

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. That helps. I'll call the Homesteader factory and see what kind of a deal I can get if I come pick it up. That $1400 dollar difference will buy a lot of gas to drive to the factory where they are made. Sounds like I can save a bit if I take a weekend road trip.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks guys. That helps. I'll call the Homesteader factory and see what kind of a deal I can get if I come pick it up. That $1400 dollar difference will buy a lot of gas to drive to the factory where they are made. Sounds like I can save a bit if I take a weekend road trip.
Cant beat a road trip with a couple of buddies. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cant beat a road trip with a couple of buddies. :D
Chris
I would suggest you think about maybe 24 ft. room for storage toolbox jack etc. even pit bike or gulf cart ( good investment)also a 4ft. side door is nice some older carts will fit though door. just want to say think it all over before you buy
Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chris
I would suggest you think about maybe 24 ft. room for storage toolbox jack etc. even pit bike or gulf cart ( good investment)also a 4ft. side door is nice some older carts will fit though door. just want to say think it all over before you buy
Good Luck
I appreciate that. I'd really like a 24 or 28 foot trailer. The problem is the road I live on and the end of my driveway. In front of my house is a one lane road that is lined with huge old trees. My driveway also has a bit of a hill when you turn into it. A 20 foot trailer will just barely go in and out of the driveway without rubbing the ground with the back end and then make the turn onto the road. A 24 footer will rub the ground for sure on the way in and on the way out.

·
Registered
339 Posts
if you get a v nose 20 ft it will give you a little more room for storage how long is the car bumper to bumper.
the v is not part of the 20 ft they only give the corner to corner measurement.
im not sure but I think diamond cargo has the best warranty on trailers 5 years and they come to you to fix it if you have problems.
mine has ben problem free

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you get a v nose 20 ft it will give you a little more room for storage how long is the car bumper to bumper.
the v is not part of the 20 ft they only give the corner to corner measurement. im not sure but I think diamond cargo has the best warranty on trailers 5 years and they come to you to fix it if you have problems.
mine has ben problem free
The car is a 1993 Mustang. When I measured it bumper to bumper it was just a hair over 15 feet long I believe.

24 ft. minimum!!....put some caster or roller wheels under the back and it'll go in and out the driveway without contacting!!
I really agree with the 24ft minimum and I like the idea of adding casters to the trailer. Perhaps a caster on each back corner would do the trick. I don't really think I'd tear up the trailer too bad if it drug the ground but I don't want to tear up my driveway either. The casters would protect both. Great Idea!

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
If you can get a longer trailer to work, you will not regret having the extra space.
Plus, the 24 footers have a higher resale value.

I have a 20 ft cargo trailer which has 6 inches less wall to wall distance than a reg. car hauler.

My 95 Mustang GT barely fits ( width wise) and the car is 15 ft. long.
20 footers will work, but it does not leave much room up front for all the stuff needed for a weekend stay at the track.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This add says $3895 out the door, for 8.5'x20', it's in Douglas, GA
http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/fod/5020047907.html
I've seen that ad here to. It does seem like a good deal but it is about 600 miles away from me in Douglas Georgia. It would be worth making the trip though. I'd probably end up saving $600 to $700 after I fed the F250 to get down there and back. I've still been searching Craigslist & the local publications to get one cheaper and/or finished on the inside. I'll definitely keep thses guys in mind.

If you can get a longer trailer to work, you will not regret having the extra space.
Plus, the 24 footers have a higher resale value.

I have a 20 ft cargo trailer which has 6 inches less wall to wall distance than a reg. car hauler.

My 95 Mustang GT barely fits ( width wise) and the car is 15 ft. long.
20 footers will work, but it does not leave much room up front for all the stuff needed for a weekend stay at the track.
I do really want the 24 footer. I think that is what I'll end up getting and then put casters on the back so I don't drag it in and out of the driveway.

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well after listening to all the good advice I went ahead and just did what I wanted to anyway. I know a lot of people won't like it but I got a 20 footer simply due to driveway size. A 24 would have been nice but that came with more projects to make it work for me. The 20 footer was the easy and cheap solution. And it fits the yard & driveway with no additional work needed. But it's TIGHT. It will keep the rain off the car and I can lock it up and walk away for a while when out of town. So the primary criteria for getting a trailer were met. Anything extra would have been a bonus. Below are the details:

2015 Lark
Bought at Trailer World in Bowling Green KY.
20 Ft
3500 lbs axles
Trailer brakes on both axles.
Wood finish floor & walls. Nothing Fancy
Price: $4800

EDIT 6-1-2015: When pulling out of my driveway on Saturday to go racing the backend cleard the driveway by 1 1/2 inches loaded. There is no way a 24 foot would have cleared. It would have rubbed for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts