460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best place to buy a complete Enderle alky injection setup?

We have no alcohol experience and will need some support.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
enderle

Unless you are just partial to using an Enderle set-up check out www.killerrons.com and talk to James Monroe. I'm switching to alcohol this year also and James has been awesome to work with. Customer service is A+ and he wont tell what you want to hear just so you buy something from him. Chris

·
Registered
80 Posts
Enderle Inj.

I did'nt buy mine as a complete bolt on but figured out what I needed to complete mine and bought the parts from Good Vibrations Motorsports out of Ca. Had my pump flowed by Dave Kohler at Kohler fuel Injection. He can set you up with a ready to go wet flowed system. Also check out HRE.com , Harvey racing engines fuel injection forum. I would put it on par with this one except it is loaded with good mechanical fuel injection knowledge; I could'nt have set mine up without it.
Sheldon G.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input Chris and Sheldon.

From what I have read, the Ron's and Enderle setups are both very good. And I've heard nothing but good about Killerrons. The only reason for my interest in the Enderle is the overall height. Our new motor has TFS A heads and tunnelram. I figure that with that, a Rons setup and a scoop I won't be able to see over it.

I'll check out your suggested contacts Sheldon.

·
Registered
846 Posts
While the Enderle is a good set-up, Their customer service leaves something to be desired. We bought our set-up new from them, and the tune was way off. After talking to Brad @ Kinsler and some reworking of the existing parts, our tune is alot closer.

Mike

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Kinsler can set you up with a good working Enderle hat setup. They are usually pretty easy to deal with too and they will have the setup within a pill or two out of the box from my experience.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
rons has hats too

I think Rons also sells hat injection. Not sure if its different but you might check it out before you buy. To see the hats you have to go to www.ronsfuel.com. Chris

·
Registered
512 Posts
Alky setups....

No matter what brand you use, they are all very similar. They are ALL constant flow injection systems. The toilet systems have vane-type pumps and won't handle as high a system pressure as the gear-type pumps, but other than that, they are all good systems. You can get a gear pump from Ron's with a toilet if you want. I bought my hat system new from someone that never used it. I gave $1200 for the whole setup. The toilets seem to have a little better idle and low-end control than the hat setup. This is done in the barrel valve. Hats are more either idle or wide open where the toilets seem to be more controllable. I highly recommend HRE.com for help and also some books. Jim Harvey of HRE has a book, Ken Lowe has a book, and there is a new, very good book from a guy in CA. I think you can search for bobracecarbook and find it. I have all three. You also need to download the catalog/manual from Kinsler's website.

I also have some spreadsheets that you can just punch in the engine specs and it will calculate your setup. Injection is simple, but if you get off in left field, it can be a pain to get back on track. Enderle stinks as far as customer support goes. To setup any injection system, you need to know the exact pump flow, the engine size, max rpm, approx. hp. That's it. The engine size and power determine nozzle size. Once that is determined, the pump flow is added and then it is calculated how much fuel the engine should need and how much to send to the tank thru the main bypass. That's it. That will get the engine running. You tune from there. Tune to the less dangerous side first. Go richer until it is definitely slowing down. Then go leaner until it starts to slow again and then backup rich one step. Just remember, alky makes the most torque on the rich side and more hp on the lean side. You want to leave rich and then use a hi-speed bypass to lean it out on the top side. If you want more info on the books or spreadsheets, let me know.

David

·
Registered
320 Posts
David, I would be intersted in your spreadsheets, I have just got my alky burner running & would not mind more info, I'm still in the break in phase & am tuned pretty fat (rich), I'm only a couple weeks away from doing some tuning & could use all the info I can get,
(on edit)
Bantam, my injection came with the engine I purchased but was tuned for more blower over drive, & tuning differently than I've ever seen, (simmilar to a blwon gas deal), I delt with they guys at good vibrations, They were very freindly & helpful in getting the parts I needed & pointing an injection newbie like myself in the right direction,

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hat

I too am running a BBF on alky. I talked with the guys at HRE.com and they set everything up for me over the net. I bought the book from them because I knew nothing about hat systems. There are all kinds of information for guys like myself who just started in this area.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your help - lots of good info. And David, if you could email me your spreadsheets I would appreciate it. :D

T

·
0 Posts
Fuel Injection

I switched last year to a Ron's Terminator & alky & LOVE IT!! I have gotten good sevice from Ron's & James Monroe. James gives good no BS advice. I highly recommend their set up. I will never switch back to a carb & gas. Hell I am planning to buy a dual Terminator kit when I go to the hemi motor. You won't go wrong with this set up.

·
Registered
270 Posts
After running a hat system for 18 years this is what we have found out
514-598 run a 80A appox. 6.5 gpm 38-42 nozzle. with no hight speed. The main pill 105-115. Install a 1-2 psi check valve going in the dist. block. This will trap fuel between the BV and the dist block will make it easly to start. Run a filter between the cutoff valve and BV. For a primmer system "T" in between the cutoffvalve and BV run a line to a ele. pump( we used a old blue pump) also install a check valve set at about 10 psi. to prime the engine pull the cutoff hit the pump for a few seconds, turn the pump off and open the cutoff valve. if the engine trys to backfire back up the intake the start mixture is too lean. Most of the time less ign, timeing is needed. Our C head 598 ran best at 26-28. After switching to carbs we found out that with alky the tuneing window is rear wide you can be off in the car tune up and the car will still fly. On gas we had to change the cam and bump the timeing up to 34 to get the same et and mph. another thing we notice the engine would not recover very well after 4 gear was pull the 1800rpm drop into 4th just kill it. one of the thing we did during the off season was to regear the trans to even out the rpm drops between gears. Our trans in another car kill 8 mph in the !/8 due to gearing. Hopes this helps.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Alky Fuel injection

Guys: Just got home an hour ago with a used 598, moving up from a 466. We were discussing on the way home whether to buy a larger carb or go to fuel injection. Manifold is an EX514, so my buddy says a carb seems like the logical way to go. I mentioned that I have seen a lot of good remarks on Rons Flying Toilet. So we thought that we would ask about it. Funny that this was the first post that I saw tonight. Likewise we would appreciate any help that you could throw our way.

T

·
0 Posts
Questions on Ron's fuel injection

I will tell you everything I have learned this past season. Just ask.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BuddyThomas said:
After running a hat system for 18 years this is what we have found out
514-598 run a 80A appox. 6.5 gpm 38-42 nozzle. with no hight speed. The main pill 105-115. Install a 1-2 psi check valve going in the dist. block. This will trap fuel between the BV and the dist block will make it easly to start. Run a filter between the cutoff valve and BV. For a primmer system "T" in between the cutoffvalve and BV run a line to a ele. pump( we used a old blue pump) also install a check valve set at about 10 psi. to prime the engine pull the cutoff hit the pump for a few seconds, turn the pump off and open the cutoff valve. if the engine trys to backfire back up the intake the start mixture is too lean. Most of the time less ign, timeing is needed. Our C head 598 ran best at 26-28. After switching to carbs we found out that with alky the tuneing window is rear wide you can be off in the car tune up and the car will still fly. On gas we had to change the cam and bump the timeing up to 34 to get the same et and mph. another thing we notice the engine would not recover very well after 4 gear was pull the 1800rpm drop into 4th just kill it. one of the thing we did during the off season was to regear the trans to even out the rpm drops between gears. Our trans in another car kill 8 mph in the !/8 due to gearing. Hopes this helps.
Thanks Buddy - great info

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Questions on Ron's fuel injection

TopSportsman916 said:
I will tell you everything I have learned this past season. Just ask.
I'm asking... my partner and I have never run alky, we know a couple of local racers running Enderle setups, but anything we can learn from others could save us from pitfalls.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts