460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it has been quite a bit of time to get this motor back together since having the wonderful experience of a lifter failure. Hopefully we will have everything ready to run the engine next weekend. Steve is fabbing up a mount for my mechanical pump & a few other odds & ends. Here is the first pics of my 557 with the new Billet Fabrications oil pan & Danny Bee belt drive. :D

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lifters

They were Lunati lifters. They had 125 passes on them. I pushed the envelope on them. I believe I will change them every 100 passes to be safe. I am running Crane lifters now per Carroll Carter. :D

·
Registered
512 Posts
Lifter failures stink!....

I hope your new lifters hold up well. I despise the whole lifter problem. It seems that nobody can build a lifter that will hold up. They all fail. The only ones I heard wouldn't fail are the Jesels. But they are $2000, so nobody uses them much. I guess there is not enough room in the .875 dia lifter to make the bearings big enough to hold up. I think the Jesel deal may be the way to go. By the time you buy a new set of lifters, a new cam, and take apart the engine to inspect for other damage, you would be money ahead. I have Crane Pro-series lifters in mine. That's what was suggested to me, but I now realize the engine builders push whatever brand they are dealers for. There is also the Schubeck(sp?) lifters without bearings, but everyone is afraid to try them.

Do your lifters have the oilers for the roller?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Chris, we are running the Crane lifters also, will swap them out at about 125 runs.

David, I have read good and bad about the rollerless lifter. You can always install a 1" lifter if you want to. The crane does have the EDM holes to the bearings.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Engine questions

Sorry that I haven't replied sooner. I have been working 12 shifts (plus the 3 hr round trip for work). OK the car has gone a best of [email protected] & [email protected] These times are with the old Lunati cam. Car w/driver weighs 2600 lbs. I love my Terminator set up & alky. Deadly consistant & simple enough that I can tune it. The water pump is a CSR for a BBF. It has 3/4" pipe threads on both sides. On my old car I ran the hose on the right & now I run it on the drivers side. Simple plug swap. I don't know how a BBC would bolt to a Danny Bee with a BBF water pump pattern. Get a CSR or Mezzere for a BBF.One thing is the o-rings that seal the CSR water openings are smaller than the diameter of the holes in the belt drive. Wasn't a big issue since I run some 1/2" thick spcers to allow my -16 hse fitting to clear the upper bolt on the crank trigger bracket. I just made my own gaskets out of some gasket paper. Damon let me think about your offer...... Nah. I'll keep what I got. LOL!! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts