460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a 1962 Ford Pickup with a 460ci (not sure of the year) and a C6. I have about $1500-$2000 to start my build up with. Whats the best parts combination I can start with to begin a good platform for a street/strip truck? I have been told the heads are the weak point for these motors. And also does anyone know where I can find the number for the engine and tranny to find out what year it is and who I would need to talk to verify this. Thanks!

·
Registered
512 Posts
You need to talk to Paul K. and Scott J.

Paul Kane can help identify the engine. He knows a LOT about all the different configurations of the 385. Scott J. is the man on the iron heads. He knows a LOT about the factory iron heads. They'll drop by in the next 24 hours probably.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Questions should be posted in the engine tech section- You will get much quicker and better responses there. That having been said, blocks have casting numbers stamped nearly under the starter motor, they read vertically. Numbers usually begin with a letter of the alphabet followed by a numerical digit, then two more letters of the alphabet. Then a sequence of four digits, a space and a revision code. For determining the original date of the use of the casting, you only need the first two.... the letter of the alphabet represents a decade (C= 1960's, D= 1970s, E=1980s, and so on.) the next digit represents the year of the decade. Heads use eactly the same system, for instance heads stamped D3VE represent a casting initially used in 1973. (They were actually used for several years after that, too) Numbers are usually covered with gunk, but they are usually near the exhaust manifold near the center couple of plugs- some scraping may be involved to locate them. Can't tell you where casting numbers are on transmissions, though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts