460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And what can each handle for power.....why do guys do a plate if spaves and a mount will be same location.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Re:engine mounts or plate which is lower in f

I can't say for sure, but I would guess the stock mounting points are probably good up to around to 700hp, maybe more. With a front and rear motorplate you can put the engine wherever you like. The AJE crossmember I have, has 1.5" dropped steering mounts. I lowered the engine down to just about a 1/4" above the rack and pinion and back to where the bellhousing bolts where also a 1/4" from the firewall.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I don't think power oower is the reason people go with motor plates. I believe the biggest reason because of engine placement and the extra room created by the lack of motor mounts. With an engine plate, you can put it where you want/need it.

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You can get pretty darn'd low with a plate setup. If it's a street car and you have long tube headers, make sure you leave enough ground clearance. Ask me how I know!

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not only will using the plate system allow you to put the engine where you would like, it opens up room for larger headers. Plate system is the best option bar none. In my opinion. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
If this is going to be a street car with a mechanical water pump, alternator, power steering, etc, can a motor plate be used? Also, won't engine vibration be transmitted to the body more by the plate?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
What headers

Michael,
I've got a few questions, what headers are you using. The mounting plate kit came with the brackets? Did you have to lower the K-member? Thanks Brian

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Headers:
I don't recall the brand of headers I'm using. I do know that they went out of business and are no longer available.

Motor plate:
I bought a complete motor plate kit from D&D. It came with the front and mid plates, brackets, and lateral movement limiters.

K-member:
The k-member is from PA Racing. I purchased it with a 1.5" dropped Pinto r&p and without motor mounts. I did not lower the k-member with spacers or any other method. Currently, I have the motor about .375" off the r&p. With the motors' placement, the motor will fit under a factory hood.

For lots of pics, follow the link in my sig.

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
27 Posts
Pictures

I check out your site, the pictures are very informative. Thanks :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts