460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to this forum and am hoping for some expert advice as it seems to be the right place!
I have a 1969 429 engine which was rebuilt for me many years ago for a Cobra. I have had several issues but am now chasing a squeak which seems to be coming from inside the engine. It seems to have no specific point of origin. The engine runs very well with good oil pressure and a steady temperature. The squeak seems to go away at higher revs but hard to tell as everything get so noisy with side pipes and no roof.
I also ran with 20W-50 oil for a while and it was better, as soon as I have gone back to 10W-40 it is much worse.
My suspicion is a badly aligned pushrod guide plate. When looking at video guides on line it just talks about aligning them with zero lash to get the best alignment with the valve tip but when I have run the engine and check the clearance with loaded valves some of them seem vary jammed against the guides.
Can someone tell is if the rods should always have a feeler gauge gap even when loaded or is it normal for there to be no gap at all?
Also I seem to be struggling with lash. Is it normal to be able to wobble the rockers after running the engine or should they all feel tight and locked in place with preload ?
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not sure if I have put this in the right area for this forum or missed something or asked too difficult a question.
Any thoughts or feedback greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Hi,
It's a holiday weekend and most are probably out and about. I had an engine with very similar symptoms, turned out to be a spun front cam bearing. I'm sure others will be along, give it a few days.

Dan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding. Cam problems is one of my biggest fears so Im hoping not!
I have posted a video on YouTube if it helps people

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Do you have an engine stethoscope? They are pretty good at pin pointing noises. Check obvious things that are easily overlooked like the belts, did you try spraying belt dressing on them? How old are they? You state rebuilt many years ago belts could be hard. The sound to me seems to be coming from front of the engine, does the noise increase in frequency with RPM? I've seen exhaust leaks sound like this as well. Have you pulled the valve covers and started it? Messy but if the noise is louder you may be closer to what you are looking for.

The spun cam bearing in the engine I mentioned above the noise got louder as the engines RPM increased, it was tough to track down.

Dan

·
Premium Member
9,041 Posts
Use a length of 3/4" heater hose to locate and isolate the sound.

It seems to be in rhythm with the valve train.

With a hydraulic cam once the engine has been sitting and the lifters bleed down due to valve spring pressure some rocker movement is normal.

Push rods should have some clearance when riding in the guide plates.

Rocker type?

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heater hose idea is a good one thanks. I have a stethoscope but cant work out there the noise is originating. I took it out for a run yesterday and got down on the floor and the noise actually sounds louder under the car. Going to get it up on a ramp to get underneath properly to listen (with a hose!).
Rockers are crane stamped I believe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Throw out bearing is a good idea but I expected it to change with clutch pressure, however I do have a Mcleod system which might be different.
I have run the car with the belts removed so not belt, water pump or Alternator.

Hoping to get it on a ramp on Thursday to have a good listen from underneath.

·
Premium Member
9,041 Posts
Some years ago I had a pontiac 400 engine that sounded just like this. Rocker was not oiling via push rod.

What kind of rockers???

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Premium Member
9,041 Posts
Hi Scotty. I have turned the engine over on the starter with rocker covers off and I have good oil flow up through every push rod.
Good.
Use the heater hose to pinpoint the offending noise.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Put the car up on the ramp this evening and sadly not gotten any further. The noise is proving incredibly hard to pin point . It isnt the clutch/bell housing area, not really in the sump and if anywhere it is slightly louder on the right hand side around the middle of the block. I even took the sump off to see if there was anything to see or any signs of rubbing but nothing obvious and no big piles of metal.
The noise is completely gone when cold but comes on gradually as it starts to warm up around 150 degrees. It is then very consistent. Clutch makes no difference and taken belts off. Engine seems to run smoothly.
I put 20W-50 oil back in to replace the 10W-30 I had just put in and the squeak is noticeably less.
Im starting to think of running it flat out for an hours drive up the highway until it breaks or goes away !!!

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Have you tried running it with the valve covers off? I would suggest one side at a time to help mitigate the mess....been there, hope you find it to be something on the simple side of things.

Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, I am new to this forum and am hoping for some expert advice as it seems to be the right place!
I have a 1969 429 engine which was rebuilt for me many years ago for a Cobra. I have had several issues but am now chasing a squeak which seems to be coming from inside the engine. It seems to have no specific point of origin. The engine runs very well with good oil pressure and a steady temperature. The squeak seems to go away at higher revs but hard to tell as everything get so noisy with side pipes and no roof.
I also ran with 20W-50 oil for a while and it was better, as soon as I have gone back to 10W-40 it is much worse.
My suspicion is a badly aligned pushrod guide plate. When looking at video guides on line it just talks about aligning them with zero lash to get the best alignment with the valve tip but when I have run the engine and check the clearance with loaded valves some of them seem vary jammed against the guides.
Can someone tell is if the rods should always have a feeler gauge gap even when loaded or is it normal for there to be no gap at all?
Also I seem to be struggling with lash. Is it normal to be able to wobble the rockers after running the engine or should they all feel tight and locked in place with preload ?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Is it manual transmission and if so could it be the pilot bearing or throw out bearing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'd pull the valve covers and look for any wear marks on the inside. Especially by the baffles. Check your valve seals for the shape their in. You might have a valve guide that's a little to tight and when it warms up it tightens up and squeaks. Had that one happen when the exhaust was to tight and bent 2 exhaust valves. They stuck open at idle just before a race and only bent the 2 valves. But cold you have clearance, hot, it goes away.
Beautiful car and set up, But some safety advice, change that fuel line. That type of chrome carb line is junk and the rubber hose close to the scatter shield, flywheel and headers, I'm assuming an electric fuel pump. That hose gets cut, breaks or slips off that chrome carb line and you'll burn that beautiful car up.
If you took that to the drag races, you would not pass a tech inspection for any class. Use #6 braided hoses and run it down the frame and up from the right front corner to the carb.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts