460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've a marine built 460, getting ready to put it into the 1980 SleekCraft, and I just realized that the stock exhaust won't clear the valve covers.

Does anyone know of an extension spacer available for this situation. Looking like I need 3" at least to clear the valve covers.

Appreciate any help :)

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Something to think about, if you put a 3” spacer on there with a bolt that went through the manifold, through the spacer then into the cylinder head it’s going to put a lot of stress on those exhaust manifolds bolts.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm assuming you've got roller rockers under there being some Cobra Jet heads. If not, maybe need to go back to a set of lower valve covers.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just have a wedge made that fits the length of the manifold, maybe 1/4"-1/2" thick, that's at an angle. The angle, what you come up with, will move the top of the manifold away from the covers. Make a sample out of wood. I wood use ARP studs to mount it.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Just have a wedge made that fits the length of the manifold, maybe 1/4"-1/2" thick, that's at an angle. The angle, what you come up with, will move the top of the manifold away from the covers. Make a sample out of wood. I wood use ARP studs to mount it.
That would work in theory, except he's gonna have a hell of a time getting the studs to make the bend they need to to be screwed into the head as well as pass through the manifolds which will now be mounted at a much different angle.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That would work in theory, except he's gonna have a hell of a time getting the studs to make the bend they need to to be screwed into the head as well as pass through the manifolds which will now be mounted at a much different angle.
all depends on how much he needs. Just an idea. After all, angle milling heads use to be a big thing. Maybe best thing would be to make new manifolds all together. Are these manifolds aluminum or cast iron. I know water cooled and cooling water out them, but of what material and put them on the engine and lets see how made the problem is. Maybe modify the covers just enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts