460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the rear leaf springs, shackles and bolts on my swb 66 F100.

My truck has the heavier rear springs as original, I think 5 leaf, maybe 1250lbs rating??

The lighter spring version is one leaf less and maybe 950 lb rating??

Anyway, my question is which would you order for a 400 horse street truck that might go to the track a few times? I've got to replace them so I thought I'd go with which ever my give a little traction advantage.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Would softer rear springs generally help in weight transfer/traction or would there be no difference in the two choices. Either spring is available.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
You need just enough spring to support the weight of the truck, softer in the rear will allow for better weight transfer.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have never delt with the company but www.generalspringkc.com seems to have a lot of info on all of the available srings that were offered in these trucks and they sell new springs also.

This may at least be a good reference for different springs.

Just figured it may be something you may have interest in during your rear spring adventure.

Brandon

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
You need just enough spring to support the weight of the truck, softer in the rear will allow for better weight transfer.
X2! Also longer than stock but smaller coil wire diameter fronts will help it transfer weight from front to rear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts