460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats The Difference between C8VE C9VE D0VE D1VE ect... ??
I heard some years were thicker and had more webing ,but I am not sure what years to look for . Are ther any of the early casted blocks that should be avoided ? I run across the early long blocks fairly frequently, For instance I just picked up a 1970 Merc 429-C9VE/D0VE-A , And am looking to get a Truck D1VE-AA/D0VE-C and a C8 Lincoln . I have also come across plenty of 68 69 Tbirds, Lincolns Mercurys. I am only mentioning the 68-71 because the D3 headed blocks are a dime a dozen and the D2VEs are suitable for boat ancor duties.
I would like to save as many of the good blocks from the scrap heap as possible.but I would like to know more about them . Thanks again Rich

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Well Rich: from what I have learned, There all good blocks From 1968 to 1997.. It's the D2VE-AA heads that are the good boat anchors. For the most part any of the blocks can be bored to .060 no problem some to .080 but sonic checking is required to do this safely. The D9TE blocks where externally balanced, hatchet weight , and weighted flywheels. this was due to the increased cylinder walls length, so the cranks from the older motors won't fit the D9 blocks cause the flyweights hit inside the motor. But most of today's stroker cranks use the smaller flyweights so they can be used in the D9TE blocks.. check fitment first .. some of the big stroker (4.600 to 4.700) need clearancing.

Now if any of this is wrong Please feel free to make correction..As I get older I keep forgetting things or remember them wrong.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

So It is amyth that the early blocks are any better than say a block cast in the after 1971 ? I guess the difference is in the cylinder heads. In that case than if you are looking for a long block than anything with C8 , C9 or D0VE heads would make a nice starting off point for a good BBF motor 400-550 HP . Obviously The CJ heads would be more desireable. But so far I havent seen any of those in the Junk yard under the hood of a Lincoln or Tbird.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks For that link paul that expalians a bunch to me I will be keeping an eye out fortrhose D0VE-A Blocks.

Now all I need is a simple explanation of the different cylinder head castings C8VE, C9VE,D0VE-A And D0VE-C ,D3VE ect...And of course the CJ and PI cylinder Heads wich I have never seenn at any wrecking yard. What did the CJ and PI heads Come in .

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
godzillatorino said:
Thanks For that link paul that expalians a bunch to me I will be keeping an eye out fortrhose D0VE-A Blocks.

Now all I need is a simple explanation of the different cylinder head castings C8VE, C9VE,D0VE-A And D0VE-C ,D3VE ect...And of course the CJ and PI cylinder Heads wich I have never seenn at any wrecking yard. What did the CJ and PI heads Come in .
There's a few comparison pics showing thick vs thin web blocks on this page I started quite a while back. Haven't had time to update it lately.
http://fordifiedracing.homestead.com/460tech.html

And Scott Johnston's web site explains the ins and outs of factory head castings. http://reincarnation-automotive.com

PI and perticularly CJ heads are scarce as hens teeth. C8, C9, D0VE-A and D0VE-C heads are all almost identical. I had a stock original D0VE 429 that had a D0VE-A head on one side and a D0VE-C head on the other.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts