460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy named Claron Macroland from 3597 Eglinton Ave. W. in Toronto, Ontario tried to buy my engine with a fake cashiers check. Does anyone know if there can be any action taken against him as I think this is a Fraud type of scam and he may be doing this to other people as well.

He was nice enough to email me back and tell me he still wanted the engine even after I had told him the check was a fake :lol: and both me and my Bank had looked into it. Thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
Internet Crime

I wish I'd had this information a couple of months ago when I was ripped off by an E-Bay seller. SOB took my money and did not send the merchandise. I filed a claim with E-Bay and got most of my money back but I am still out 50 bucks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I got caught in the same thing.

I also turned my asshole into the Fedral Trade Commision.They got him in NYC for issueing a fake chack and some kind of scam thing.
Bob Meader

One thing I have always done is any check certified or not it has to clear my bank before you get the goods.Also Postal money Orders are the easiest because you can take then right to the post office.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Question? how do you know or tell if its fake? that is another good reason, :if i cant buy what i need from someone on this site, I go to summit for it!!!! hope that don't change. I work to hard for my money to have some LAZY JERK STEAL IT,

·
Registered
328 Posts
Anytime someone offers you more than what you want

You know there is a problem.Other wise Postal Money orders or cash are the saest.
bob

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
My friend just sold his Pro street Bricklin project and his bank warned him that there have been a lot of bad cashiers checks going around. I've decided I won't buy anything from anybody unless they have some kind of history either on Ebay or on a forum. And if I sell something, I make sure the check is good before sending the merchandise. So far I've had good luck with Paypal (knock on wood), but again, I only use it if they are verified and have history. I can't believe how many unscrupulous people there are out there.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Fake modalities

I have recieved several counterfeit bank checks, normally call the local police and they will get you in touch with the appropriate law inforcement. Your money is probably gone, but any type of paper transaction can be frauded. Check the institutrion its drawn on for funds availibility, before the leave with you product

·
Registered
134 Posts
I recently sold some stuff on ebay and two of the buyers paid with U.S. postal money orders and I was told by my local bank that the money would be held until they cleared as there are bad postal money orders showing up now so you can't even trust those any more.Every time I place something for sale on a public forum now I get some scammer wanting to send me a cashiers check for more than I am asking and wanting me to send the difference VIA Western Union.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Any check I accept for payment on anything is written to CASH so, if it's not a good check it becomes a FEDERAL case for passing illigimate funds.

The same as; trying to pass counterfeit money. Now, being that there are two different countries involved, I don't know what would happen.

·
Registered
57 Posts
US Postal Money order.. undisputed champion for purchases

The great thing about these is you can take them directly to any post office to cash them. They know instantly if they are fake, stolen, etc since they get computer code scanned and they also have a log showing serial numbers for any that are missing/stolen. Woks great since I'm always shipping stuff (plus the sife works at our local post office).

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bigblock89, With the Postal Money orders I was also told that they have been faked by some and then the come after you for trying to cash them. Do you know if this is true?

Randy, Thanks for the tip with the CASH I never thought about that but that would probably work well.

I'm really glad I had the bank look into the legitimacy of the check prior to me shipping the engine. Didn't lose anything other than time and a little effort.

Too dang many crooks out there trying to screw honest people out of their hard earned money.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Each province in Canada has various amounts min. that are required for the police to get involved with in Manitoba for example its about 300 cdn. I am sure if you get a hold of the local city police or the rcmp or the opp (province police) something will be done with this guy.

·
Registered
928 Posts
BBFFox said:
My friend just sold his Pro street Bricklin project and his bank warned him that there have been a lot of bad cashiers checks going around. I've decided I won't buy anything from anybody unless they have some kind of history either on Ebay or on a forum. And if I sell something, I make sure the check is good before sending the merchandise. So far I've had good luck with Paypal (knock on wood), but again, I only use it if they are verified and have history. I can't believe how many unscrupulous people there are out there.
Watch taking paypal from anyone in California (sorry I am not trying to insult any of our guys from there just read on) California has some law that allows the buyer to pay through sites like paypal with a credit card wait till the merchandise arrives, say they don't like it and get thier money back through the credit card without returning the merchandise, this just happened to my wifes son on some things he sold on evilbay. And after talking with the police and an attorney it seems the only way he can either get the stuff back or the money is going to california and filing a lawsuit which would be 2500 mile one way trip for $750. I am not totally up on the law so I don't know the specifics but the police claim that under CA law what the guy did is perfectly legal, and nothing can be done about it. BTW the item showed back up on ebay about a month later with a bunch of other items of different types so this is just another way to scam us out of our money using poorly written laws.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
long story

to make it short-i had a buddy sell his pro street engine form sonnys- 800 + cubes for a new generation camaro to some guy that had a authentic cashiers check-he even called the bank to make sure every thing was up on the up- toke the check to the bank-had to wait 7-10 buisness day to clear-
once it cleared he had the guy come bak down from -where ever he was from,pick the motor up and on his way...so bank cleared the check-RIGHT....WRONG 2 weeks later he went to pay some bills and found out the back frooze his checking account-due to an illegale check- hummmmmmm in the long run it cost him $12000.00 in legal fees to win his case

CASH CASH ONLY

·
Registered
175 Posts
I BOUGHT SOME MOTORCYCLE PARTS ON EBAY TWO YEARS AGO FROM MIAMI FL I LIVE IN CANADA NEAR TORONTO.I SENT THE MONEY($2000)
ONE MONTH LATER STILL NO PARTS, I TRYED TO GET A HOLD OF THE SELLER BUT HE WAS LONG GONE.I CALLED MIAMI POLICE THEY SAID ITS MAIL FRAUD,SO I WOULD HAVE TO CALL THE FBI.TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT THE FBI HAD HIM WITHIN THREE DAYS.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts