460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hahaa.. since I'm having trouble building another engine due to $$$.. The shop owner where I work gave me this engine.. It use to pump water out of a well to irrigate the crops.. It's a D1 block with D3 heads. I pulled the plugs and it has flat top pistons with 2 eyebrow valve reliefs. The valve train is stock with non-adjustable rockers. The engine was ran on natural gas so.. this thing is real clean inside. Someone added an aluminum Elde intake to it I guess when they were setting it up for work..

My plans are to add my DOVE's .. solid cam...

Hoot.. gonna get some track time ! Thank God! :D

(Oh if Mikeys Dad is reading this.. I think this an upgrade to the tow truck engine)

Laters!

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
That's awesome!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Doug... 8)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jbozzelle said:
Les,

What happened to the stroker?
A major cam failure.. But it's too hard to just put one finger on what exactly happened.. Just too much carnage.. I will tell you that the 545 loved to RPM.. I have never owned something like it.. My old engine, a 466 use to just quit reving at 6100 without a rev limiter.. The 545 went to 8600 (tell Tail on the tach) and would have maybe gone more? I'll tell ya what.. I want that back again! It's a drug for sure.. Right now it's a $$ deal and the guys at the shop I work at want me to make some rounds at the track..

It's nice of them to give me some support.. I'll take the free pass.. and try and chase that Summit Series Title.. Who knows.. pretty funny to get you azz kicked by a Well Pump Motor!

Carnage below

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Is it possible that the 8600 rpm zing is what killed the flat tappet cam? Or do you think it was just a bad cam?

What was the cam's specs & maker?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. said:
Is it possible that the 8600 rpm zing is what killed the flat tappet cam? Or do you think it was just a bad cam?

What was the cam's specs & maker?
The cam was spec to run 6500 Rpm.. so I should have run a limiter.. At the time I had the rev limit (soft touch) just no chip..

I never expected the engine to go so quickly up in Rpm.. I'd suggest that anyone going above 6K Rpm to find a good cam core..

Thanks David!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
If iron hyd/solid cam cores are heat treated as part of the manufacturing process, it could be interesting to find out how your cam compares to other cams hardness.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
I remember once3 at a 12 hour race at Sebring when we dropped-out 'cause of an ELECTRICAL failure; (at least that is what we told race officials and everyone else).
In reality a connecting rod had left the block and cut the battery cable in two.

Things are not ALWAYS as they seem...!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rmcomprandy said:
I remember once3 at a 12 hour race at Sebring when we dropped-out 'cause of an ELECTRICAL failure; (at least that is what we told race officials and everyone else).
In reality a connecting rod had left the block and cut the battery cable in two.

Things are not ALWAYS as they seem...!
I wish that was the case Randy.. The crank only has a minor scratch to a blance weight when one of the pushrods fell down in the pan.. Them suckers are tuff.. 4 rods took a beating as the cam bounced off the crank. 4 pistons on the underside at the pin got hammered. I looked at the cost to buy a set of pistons and rods.. and the cost was allmost the same price for a complete kit.. So I just stopped right there.. No easy $ to be had..

I understand what ya ment by an associated failure.. there is soo much carage.. the engine actuall ran on the front 4 clys.. I shut it off..

Laters!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts