460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... I'm not even sure if I called that the right name in the title. Anyway, I have one fender lip that I bent over to get it out of the way of the tire. Admittedly I didn't do a real good job on that side (compared to the rest of the car) and I still have to do the other side.

My question is what tool do I need to roll the fender lip? What is it's name and what does it look like? If you could post a pic that would be great.

I wandered around Harbor Freight yesterday and I could not find what I needed to do the job. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oh crap Rob... That is going to require some actual skill. I'm screwed!! :)

But seriously that sounds good. The only thing I was I was missing from my last attempt was the dolly's. I thought there was some sort of tool to do this but I guess not other than a B.F.H.

So will a Barbie do or are we taking Cabbage Patch?

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Oh crap Rob... That is going to require some actual skill. I'm screwed!! :)

But seriously that sounds good. The only thing I was I was missing from my last attempt was the dolly's. I thought there was some sort of tool to do this but I guess not other than a B.F.H.

So will a Barbie do or are we taking Cabbage Patch?
Lolololololol.
Personally I prefer the Cabbage Patch versions myself for these particular radii.
It just takes time and patience Chris......and keep in mind that every time you strike a blow on metal you are thinning it and that now extra material has to go some where.
If you want a flat surface, use a flat shaping tool. If you want a curved surface, use a curved shaping tool.
There is a method called 'hammering off' (Ok....focus now lol) where you only strike the metal and the dolly isn't actually under the hammer blow. That goes a long way toward bending the material and not making it thinner.
Go slowly and move small amounts of material over a large distance and you will get a feel for what the metal wants.
Rob

·
Registered
142 Posts
There is a tool. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Roller-Rolling-Extending-Tools/dp/B000RZPP4E[/ame]

I've never used one, only read about it.

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Im no panel beater but the best way is to put a metal rod inside the fender lip and use a hammer. Gently tap the lip around the rod, this will make it flat lip and strengthen the fender at the same time.

Cheers Bob.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
If you use the lip roller on a good painted finish, be sure to warm the area with a hair dryer or heat gun on low so the paint won't crack.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts