460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have done a search on here and can't find an answer. What are the specs on the valve springs for a FI 460? E7TE heads. IE pressure and lift limits? Probably a stupid idea but I've got a set of D0VE heads w valves and rockers, but no other valve train parts, and was wondering if I could use the springs and retainers from my FI heads? Oh and side question? With those heads and FI short block that's about what... 10 to 10.5:1 CR right??

·
Premium Member
5,622 Posts
What are the specs on the valve springs for a FI 460? E7TE heads. IE pressure and lift limits?
The spring rate and seat pressure of the OEM springs on the FI heads are about the same and only very slightly improved over the OEM springs that came on the D0VE heads.

...I've got a set of D0VE heads w valves and rockers, but no other valve train parts, and was wondering if I could use the springs and retainers from my FI heads?
Yes--the OEM retainers between the two heads in question are identical, and the spring from the FI head will go into the D0VE head wiht the OEM retainers.

With those heads and FI short block that's about what... 10 to 10.5:1 CR right??
Bone stock 1988-1992 460FI with D0VE heads: about 10.2:1
Bone stock 1993-1997 460FI with D0VE heads: about 9.45:1

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply! What kind of valve lift would I be limited to with that spring and retainer setup? I'm thinking somewhere around .500 to .520 ish?? Hopefully more than that??

·
Premium Member
5,622 Posts
Thanks for the reply! What kind of valve lift would I be limited to with that spring and retainer setup? I'm thinking somewhere around .500 to .520 ish?? Hopefully more than that??
The factory configuration of the D0VE cylinder head and associated valve train dictates machining down the valve guide bosses for valve lift that will be at or above ~0.550", give-or-take. These mass production heads are are all a little different but 0.500" lift at the valve should be okay with the factory heads, as far as valve lift is concerned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts