460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally finished with my new American Racecars dragster assembly. I sold my old dragster last spring and ordered this one in the summer. It was delivered in Oct. as pretty much a bare base car with + a complete rear end assembly. It was too late to race last year, so, I've been slowly putting everything together as a one man show. It took a little longer than I would have liked due to life and $$ getting in the way, but I think it turned out pretty good.

I think this car is a good example of what can be done on a limited budget if you stick to the plan and do the majority of the work yourself.

Special Thanks to:
Travis and Mark @ American Racecars
Eric Boyd and Steven Farrow @ Flintstone Motorsports
David Willingham @ Advanced Motorsports Engineering
Tim Murphy @ The Fab Shop Headers
Trey McDonald @ Trey's Autobody, Jacksonville, Al

Some pics:

More pics at:
http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=331&folderid=286583&groupid=66449&folderview=thumbs&ck=
and
http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=331&folderid=284733&groupid=66449&folderview=thumbs&ck=

·
Registered
512 Posts
Very nice!! I can't wait to see it run. I wish my truck was done. Maybe I can just drop it off at your house now that you have nothing to do. :roll:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Looks great David, can't wait to see it run at Owensboro. I keep looking for the doors but you hid them well. If it is like it was last year get ready to set a new personal best in ET and speed because Phillip will have the track ready, I can't wait.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
LIMITED BUDGET???

I see no limits to me :D
Hey how do you vent the lower end? I see the hose from the left going to a small canister then a hose from that going forward?

Ace

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys,

I have every intention of bringing it to the Bash. Barring any major unforseen problem it will be there.

answers to some reply's:

The color is Ford Torredor Red. I used the same color code for the paint as what's on my F350.

Parking is not much of problem.....It can take a 40 acre field to turn it around though. LOL

It was a limited budget to the extent that I did it all myself. Many dragsters are picked up from the builder already wired, plumbed, painted and ready to drop and motor into. Nothing against those buyers at all, but I couldn't afford it. This car was bare when delivered to me. I used my labor to offset the cost of some good parts. headers, converter, MSD Digital 7, etc.

The bottom end is vented with an electric vac pump mounted behind the seat. It only pulls about 5-6" and prob doesn't make any extra power, but it does do a great job venting and it keeps the oil really clean by pulling the condensation out. The condensation can really be a problem with alky burners. But, my oil looks like it came out of the bottle all the time. I only change it when I feel guilty. The pump pulls though the valvecover via the cannister. Most of the water vapor drops out and collects in the cannister. I can empty it every 3 passes and get about 1/2 cup of water.

I hope it will run close to same as my old car. Same engine, but the new car will be about 40 lbs heavier due to the suspension. It's actually 70-80 lbs heavier, but I dropped from 2 batteries to 1 to negate 1/2 the weight gain. I also am going to try a harder hitting converter to try and make up for the extra weight and suspension reaction time. The old converter woudl go 1.10-1.11 60's. Best of 1.09. I hope for 1.07 or better wih the new one.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Doug Rahn said:
I'm to old to be climbing in and out of something like that :lol: :lol:. Again a great job 8) .
Wrong! Doug,

You know I'm not a little feller. :mrgreen:

This car has a 24.5" wide cage. Too me it's easier to get in/out of than a door car with X door bars and a funny car cage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts