460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my 466 together and running in the truck, I still have somework to do on the truck before it is street worthy so I haven't gotten to drive it yet- but it sure sounds bad *** and rocks my Bronco from side to side alot with my super-stiff leaf springs in the front of the truck. I think I am goning to be satisfied with it this time around.

This is the first engine I have ever built my self, some parts I used over again(block/pistons/crank) out of my other 466 that was assembled by someone else, but others I chose my self. Aside fron the machine work, I have done everything involved with this engine myself, with the help of this site ofcorse :D .

Anyway, some specs on the engine:

D9TE block, 0.030" over, zero decked(removed 0.035" from deck)
Speed Pro flattop hypereutectic pistons w/ 2 reliefs
stock 3Y crank, stock truck rods-resized, ARP bolts
Lunati Solid lifter cam(flat tappet) .559int/.572exh lift
237int/247exh dur. @0.050
300int/310exh ADV. duration
110 Lobe seperation, 106 centerline
Installed straight up, which makes it
4deg. advanced.
Lunati solid lifters
C9VE-A heads, 2.25int/1.76 Ferrea SS valves, ported all out by directions on Scotty's website, chambers polished and deburred, valves unshrouded, Scorpion 1.73 aluminum rockers, Lunati double valvesprings w/ dampers, Lunati retainers and 10 deg. locks. , intake heat ports blocked off
Decked heads 0.035" to remove some pitting, I believe compression to be about 12-12.5:1 or so...
Cloyes Double Roller timing set, cam installed straight up
Weiand Stealth intake
Holley 850 DP
MSD Pro Billet dizzy, MSD 6A-L box, MSD Blaster 2 coil, Ford Racing 9mm plug wires, Autolite plugs so far
Headers are L&L fenderwell exit, 1 3/4" primaries w/ 3" collectors, for now open exhaust
Weiand high-flow aluminum water pump, bypass to intake blocked off
aluminum underdrive crank pulley, aluminum wtr. pump pulley
180dg. thermostat w/ pass thru holes drilled

I entered in all my info above while playing around with Desktop Dyno and input some flow numbers I got off of Scott's site for some DOVE heads he ported, which I know are better than mine so I will be down on power a bit, and I got ~585hp, and over 610 tq.

Is this even in the ballpark? I started the engine on C116, but I havent been able to drive it yet and really dial in the timing. I left the slowest springs in the dizzy that came with it, and set the initial at 16dg. I know it won't require C116 to run, but we already had 15 gallons of it that we got to run in the 605 at the last pull, but we had some trouble and didn't use it all. I am hoping it will be ok on AV gas, or maybe cam II.

Sorry for the long post, but whatayall think she'll run?

TIA

-Matt

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, you really think it will make less tq than hp w/ the mid range cam that's in it?

Again, while I know it is not that accurate, when I Desktop Dyno'd my old 466 w/ only 10.5:1 and pocket ported heads w/ stock sized valves, it quoted around 450tq...

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^ Me too :) If I wiped a cam lobe, how would I know- wouldn't one of the rockers not be coming up?

I think I did ok, I primed the oiling system(used Rotella) for a min. or so before starting the motor for the first time, and only had the inner valvesprings installed. It fired alot quicker than I thought it would, I figured the timing would be off but it was close to begin with. Soon as it fired I brought it up to 3500rpm, set it there, and just kept watch on all my guages. After the first 10 min or so I began to vary the rpm a little, going down to 3000 or so and slowly up to ~3800. Ol pressure sat dead on about 60 the whole time.

I did this and let the engine run for about 45 min, and after no leaks or anything, I began to slowly drop the engine speed, until I finally had it idling and the cam bumpin along. Set my idle mixture and idle speed at ~800rpm, and I was set. I adjusted the valves since it was hot so I knew everything was working alright before I took it all apart and put in the inner springs.

I am extremely pleased with this build, as it is an enormous improvement over my last 466, which I was severely dissapointed with. This one sounds wicked :twisted:

After putting in the inner valvesprings and setting the lash again, I guess it should be ready to run. Highest I could get the temp w/ the fan on was 225, and that was just sitting still when I first broke it in.

Is it the general belief that the608's HP/TQ estimates are close???

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been playing around with my computer software, and when I input the specs for 2 crate engines from Ford, it was within 15hp of what they were rated at.

For my engine, I put in all the head flow #'s up to .700 lift, and I put in the exact cam timing events, like IVO, IVC, EVO, EVC, lift. It then correctly calculated out the duration @ 0.050", lobe center, & valve overlap. I also chose "small tub headers w/ open exhaust", as I assumed 1 3/4" headers would be considered "small" for the heads, spec'd an 850 carb, and dual plane intake.

After it was all said and done, it was showing 570hp @ 5500rpm & 619tq @ 4000rpm. Torque curve was fairly flat.

I know my heads will not flow as well as the DOVE's I got the numbers from, but I would still think I ought to have around 550hp. The torque I am not really sure about, but it doesn't seem right to me that I would have LESS tq than hp, given that my combo is not of the high-rpm nature, dual plane mainifold, small tube headers, mid-range cam all suggest that torque should be up, and maybe hp would be less...

However I do not pretend to be an expert on such matters, all I have is my opinion. So that is why I ask you guys for help w/ the big stuff :)

I would really have liked to put this engine on the dyno before I put it in, but there is not one around here- only a chassis dyno, and they won't let me on with the big tires :cry:

As always, thanks for any help/info/opinions you all can provide.

-Matt

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Greg_Pettit said:
Those pistons are gonna have their work cut out for them! :oops:

Sounds good, man.
Yeh, we'll see how long they hold up. I am not putting much faith in them at all. Hopefully by the time she goes, the 557 will be ready 8)

It ended up having a little more compression than I planned though, since I had to have the heads milled so much. I don't think I'll be puttin any squeeze on it like I was planning...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts