460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fordloverracing built M-6009-C460 engine in my '72 Mach 1 mustang. I've restored the whole car from a bad crispy Florida car. Four weeks ago I started the engine for a very first time. It was so far the best moment in my life (lets not tell this to my wife... :wink: ). I threw the distributor on and adjusted the valves after priming the oil system. I checked that the number one cylinder was in TDC and put the distributor trigger to cylinder one. I was very happy just to get her cranked and fired up. I didn't had any time to do any kind of adjusting at the time. Now four weeks later I am back in a carage. Today I checked the advance, it was in 70 degrees! No wonder it wasn't responsing very well, but it still sounded like a big block should... How the heck did the engine last time started right away?? I've got a Digital 6+ ignition and I am using the 20 degrees retard on cranking. I knew that the advance wasn't right but it was way off the line.

Today I did adjusted the advance to 35 degrees on higher revs because I want to keep it down for the first thousand miles or so. I couldn't believe how strong did the engine felt like after setting it to 35, it takes revs very, very fast and it sounds very baad a$$ on high revs (through 3 1/2" duals with X). C460 cam is working great - I love it, can't wait to give her some miles and adjust the advance in 38 degrees.

I just wanted to whole world to hear how much I love my engine!! Thanks Rick Toombs for the soul of my Mustang. Tomorrow I will driving her the very first time, want to test her before the snow. I will only drive around the yard but I am surely going to find out that does the detroitlocker work as it should... :lol:

Got to get some sleep before tomorrow, take care guys.

Yours,

Jari
Finland

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
congrats..

Congratulations, I always get nervous when I fire one up for the first time. Sounds like you'll wake up the neighbors tomorrow. :twisted: :lol:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the words! Yep, I drove the car yesterday and it was quite thrilling!! I don't have the electrie fans installed yet because I am waiting my aluminium radiator to come. I have now my old 3-row radiator without the fans. So I started the driving in 120 F and stopped around 180 F. It was a short drive but detroitlocker seems to be working properly on gravel (ooops - I used the clutch first time on gravel) and on concrete... :roll: Engine is very responsive, tko works perfectly and my hydraulic clutch with mercedez-benz clutchpedal/mastercylinder co-operates smoothly with the McLeod throw-out bearing. Even a rock-hard G(ay)M(otors) guy was suprsised to hear how healthy the engine sounded.

Only negative thing was something that I was allready aware off, a wheelhop. I have tractionbars but I haven't installed them yet, because I will wait until I'll get my shockabsorbers and I'll install them at the same time. Can't wait to get the rear act as it should.

My smallbrother was filming the my warm-up at the garage, I'll try to get it to the youtube next week if we are able to convert the Nokia cellphone stream to WAV or similar which works in youtube. I'll let you know if we succeed in converting it. I'll get back to you guys!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is my first time uploading anything no Youtube, so I am not sure is this working, but lets give a shot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kajGsOSjhys

Engine is up and running and I am hammering it just a little bit... You can hear somebody yelling "Hayhoo hayhoo" it means don't broke it in Finnish (yes he's my dad worried of my engine revving under 4000 rpm)...

Let me know if the link is working, thanks.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hi finmach,

The link is working just fine, and the motor sounds awesome! We need some "ride along" videos when you are finished with the car!

Thanks for the video!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts