460 Ford Forum banner

Firing Order Change

15K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  DaveMcLain 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've been doing some reading and I'd like to get some good advice on what to do:). I have a '95 F-150 with the 5.0 Truck firing order (15426378) :eek: (I know this is a BBF forum but you guys mean business and you really know your Ford engines) and I've been told that the 5.0 HO firing order (13726548) is worth some horsepower. I also heard that it is better for engine longevity (but the explanation for this wasn't totally convincing). Any thoughts or theory about this would be really appreciated?

I realize I'd have to change to a cam that is made for the HO firing order. Does the HO firing order have anything to do with exhaust gas pulses (similar to the reason Ford did the crazy "bundle of snakes" headers for their GT40 in the 60's)? Would keeping my stock type single pipe exhaust setup negate any gains to be had from changing the firing order (the only difference in my exhaust setup is a 3" in/out Hushpower Pro muffler and 3" piping? Even if there's only a small improvement I'd be interested in trying out the switch.:cool:

#2 ·
It may be worth a bit of longevity and slightly increase power with some intake systems yet maybe not; until you test it. However, it for sure will be EXPENSIVE with a Ford Big Block.

#3 ·
Jon, according to Chiltons, Haynes, Shop Key and the ones that I've worked on, the '95 F150's already have the HO firing order. Ive seen a couple BBF's with the 13726548 firing order, didn't seem to make much difference in power.

#4 ·
Everything I have read about switching firing orders (look into the Chevy "4/7" firing order swap, because the BBFs and all old-school Chevy/Chrysler/Buick/Olds/Pontiac engines fire their cylinders in the same sequence, they are just numbered differently. Check it out.) for a long time.
What the change in firing order does is it keeps cylinders 7&8 on a Ford (5&7 on a Chevy, etc.) from firing in sequence, and keeps the back of the driver's cylinder head cooler and less likely to detonate because two cylinders arent firing one after the other.
It moves the combustion cycles to the front passenger side of the engine, where there is more cooling capacity. Doing that could allow you to run a more agressive timing curve; you wouldn't have to "crutch" the timing of the engine with retarded timing.
I have also heard that there are benefits in the form of more even loading of the crankshaft (There was a reason why Chevrolet departed from the old firing order when they made the LS series engines.)

#8 ·
The firing order was changed from the 302 to the 351W firing order on higher out put 302s for structural reasons. Ford removed a lot of strength from the main web area. About 10 lbs of iron. Wall thickness was reduced in the cylinder walls also but later some was added back to the cylinders because cylinder walls were warping during manufacturing.
The weight reductions of the block were implemented as a cost save and a weight save. Cost save being the real goal.

Back to the firing order change. With the old firing order #1 and #5 cylinders fired consecutivly. Being on the same throw of the crank and the same bulkhead caused a huge load on the #1 main. The #1 main is one of the weaker ones in the block. Using the 351W firing order changed the load to the 4th main which is much stronger (4 and 8 firing consectutively).
This allowed the engine to be increased in power without spending mony on puting iron content back in the block as well as the big expence of changing all the coring of the casting equipment.

#10 ·
5.0 H.O. in my Truck

Just to clear something up. I've got a 5.0 L in my '95 F-150. Any advice on making a set of headers for it (I'd really like to try a "bundle of snakes" setup or else do a properly balanced long tube single exhaust or do a tri-y single exhaust. What would your thoughts be on the feasability of each. My main goal is power first, sound second, cost third.

#11 ·
The Flathead firing order is interesting too but did you know that on the Flathead Ford while the cylinders are numbered the same as any Ford with number one in the front on the right side of the engine. BUT, number one is NOT the front cylinder of the engine! It's actually number 5 that's the one in the front isn't that weird?

Pontiac engines do something similar whereby number one is the front cylinder on the left yet the right bank is in front of the left bank.

#16 ·
The crank configuration does not change. In a V8 there are always two pistons at TDC at the same time so either of those cylinders could be the one being fired with the other, it's running mate, on overlap. V8 cams have been ground that fire two cylinders at once, flat cranks have been used, all sorts of stuff that doesn't make much of a difference in the positive direction.

International V8's were timed differently but the cylinders were numbered and arranged conventionally.

#18 ·
I was told by some smart guy some time ago that there are 8 possible running orders on a 90* V-8 there are only 3 that won't beat the engine to death.

I wonder what firing order Keith Black Nitro engines run.

G-

#17 ·

Firing order diagram. I believe Kaase is on record as saying there no power difference but his mountain motor cranks with the old flat head firing order last much longer at high rpm with the firing change.

G-

Jon

#20 ·
I can't see that it would cause ANY problem at all. But the cam core and grinding will be costly. I think it would be a lot easier and less expensive to just rewire the harness and change the firing order of the injectors.

#21 ·
Problem with that is the computer monitors both left and right banks so if it senses rich or lean on one or the other it will feed fuel to the wrong side cause some of the injectors have "switched sides" the only good way to fool the computer is to run both O2 sensors off the same bank but this will also not help with the idle issues...

#23 ·
Maybe you could run some sort of X pipe or 180 style exhaust whereby there are pipes that cross over so that both sensors could get a better look at both sides of the engine. A good guy to call to get some information about doing a cam with a special firing order might be Steve Demos at Demos' Cams. He can do quite a bit of special stuff like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.