460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this will be my first 460 build, it's going into a 88 mustang, I have a 1976 460 as a donor out of a f250, I want to build it up half decent and try to get the car into the 10's, i am going to stick with the cast heads it came with for now, just bought a edelbrock rpm airgap intake, any sugestions on what direction i should go to make some decent power, keeping in mind that this car has to be streetable, not a daily driver but, cruise when i need it to, anything might help?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Since the engine is going into a Mustang and you are wanting some serious power,I would definitely look at including aluminum heads,for weight reduction and power potential. That way you can plan the selection of pistons,cam and valvetrain around the better cylinder heads. It would be money well spent.
The big 460 will have a weight penalty,over a stroker Windsor,without the addition of aluminum heads.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
depending on the money situation, lotsa people on here run modified cast iron heads and get big power still. look in the build archives and they have several combos that are part by part builds and the HP range they will yield.......and plenty of people on here runnning similair setups based on those guidelines and can tell u they put out power in that estimated range- and it doesnt take a whole lot to move a stang down the track in a hurry--

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, thanks for the reply, the only reason i am sticking with the cast heads is the cost of new ones are a bit much right now, does anyone know what kind of heads mine are? anyone have some cheap aluminum heads for sale?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts