460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a 466. I plan on putting this in a 1977 f-150 4x4 long bed, it has 38 in boggers, 5.13 gears. I plan on making about 600-700 horse if possible. I am going to use a scat 9000 series crank 3.85 stroke, kb +3 flat top 2 valve relief, eagle H beam rods 6.605, Edelbrock cj rpm or victor heads, full roller rockers, 850 holley center squarter carb, msd ignition, haven't decided on intake or cam. I will be mostly bogging this in compitition, but it still has to be streetable. I have restriction on how much vacuum I can run on my motor for my class. I have to pull 10 lbs. of vacuum at 1000 rpm. I am also going to have the bottom end balanced. So, I guess my questions are, what size cam i can run, and what harmonic balancer and flexplate should i use and do i need a spacer?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
STOP! I'd suggest you do some reading in the Engine Builds Archives. Many have come here after buying a bunch of stuff, only to learn that some of their choices are less than optimal for the desired use. Depending on use, there are places you MAY be able to save some $ and, places where you shouldn't. We are here to help, WELCOME to the site.

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
IMO what is wrong with the stock crank out of the engine ? They can handle that hp easily . Only 10 pounds of vacuum at 1000 rpms you can get a pretty healthy cam with that requirement . Why not use a set of P-51s VERY nice heads . There are plenty of pullers on this site that can help you build insane power and still fit into your class . You may want a bigger carb than what you plan on using . I personally suggest QFT and so will many others . Welcome to the best site ever for 460 fords !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts