1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

This will be my first engine build
As of now I am unaware of anything wrong about my build…… thus far
So please feel free to let me have it and point out my stupidity, because I have not purchased anything yet except for the block.

Budget is around 6-7K
I plan on putting this engine in a 71 mustang.
I want this car to be “streetable”.
I want as much horsepower that I can get out of “pump” gas.
No Nitrous, No blower
I would prefer that this engine last quite a few years.

Here is the build for my 552 stroker
Block D9TE Overbore to 4.42” Deck Height @ 10.3”
4340 forged 4.5” Eagle crank
ESP H-Beam 6.8” Eagle connecting Rods
Diamond -38cc dish pistons 1.245 c.d.
Edelbrock performer RPM Camshaft
Edelbrock performer RPM intake
Edelbrock performer RPM 75cc Heads

Here are all my questions so far.

Should I use a main girdle?

Has anyone used the Edelbrock performer RPM line before?

It looks like a lot of people opt for the ARP bolt upgrade for the connecting rods, is this necessary or recommended?

I am not familiar with what camshaft I should use?
Such as lift, intake degrees, exhaust degrees? I may need to be educated about this

As far as bearings and Gaskets are there any that are preferred?
I am planning on getting a Fel-pro gasket kit for the 460 and will
Just substitute any 552 specific gaskets.

What about oil system modifications? Are they necessary?

With this build approximately how much HP am I looking at?

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
First, I'd ditch the RPM Cam, Get Something Ground for it, perferably a Mechanical Cam. Second would be Getting the Edlebrock heads Professionaly Ported.

I'd also look at a Victor Intake with a 1050 Dominator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dfree383 said:
First, I'd ditch the RPM Cam, Get Something Ground for it, perferably a Mechanical Cam. Second would be Getting the Edlebrock heads Professionaly Ported.

I'd also look at a Victor Intake with a 1050 Dominator.
Who would be a good person to talk to about a custom cam?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Take some time and look through some of the build threads. I think you would be happier with a set of TFS streets or SCJ's and the proper matching components. As said above, Lem would be a good choice for advice on individual parts like a camshaft or a complete package.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm doing something similar for a 68. I went with Kaase SCJ heads (since updated to the p51s) I did not do a girdle but did opt for the engine system 4 bolt main conversion (prolly unecessary...but peace of mind kind of thing). I have a victor 4500 intake and will use a 1050 domintaor (8082 is better on the street from what I'm told). Cam will be solid flat tappet I'm planning on something around 250-260 @.050 and around .650 but will be custom by one of the guys here. Other stuff is MSD dizzy,, 6AL, coil, Mezeire electric water pump. I've been gatehr stuff for a long time now as budget allows. I'm hoping for 650 hp on pump gas so you should be in the same ballpark with more torque from the extra cubes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts