460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
twisted the u-joint out of the slip yoke and broke the caps on the yoke while pulling into a parking lot. is this common for an aftermarket yoke?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TorinoStyle2 said:
If its made in China or Taiwan, yes.

it was a spicer u joint. the yoke i ordered offline and looked to be good quality. Guess it wasnt that good afterall:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
466bbfox said:
ouch, i had a custom clutch and joint place shorten my driveshaft and put some beefy u joints on there with a C6 yoke. so far, so good. But they are local.
yeah this was a truck style yoke with the large 1330 ? u joint
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gearhead559 said:
sound's like the shaft is a bit too long! Mine is stockis!! :?

With the slicks and the 225 shot, it sit holding!

it had about 3/4-1" of slip in left. I think it may have been a defect in the cast were it broke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blue429Coupe said:
Gearhead559 said:
sound's like the shaft is a bit too long! Mine is stockis!! :?

With the slicks and the 225 shot, it sit holding!

it had about 3/4-1" of slip in left. I think it may have been a defect in the cast were it broke.

ill put some pics up tommorow
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,941 Posts
Blue429Coupe said:
Gearhead559 said:
sound's like the shaft is a bit too long! Mine is stockis!! :?

With the slicks and the 225 shot, it sit holding!

it had about 3/4-1" of slip in left. I think it may have been a defect in the cast were it broke.
more then likely!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blue429Coupe said:
Blue429Coupe said:
Gearhead559 said:
sound's like the shaft is a bit too long! Mine is stockis!! :?

With the slicks and the 225 shot, it sit holding!

it had about 3/4-1" of slip in left. I think it may have been a defect in the cast were it broke.

ill put some pics up tommorow
i hope to get to pull it apart tommorow :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gearhead559 said:
Blue429Coupe said:
i beat the cap are back down some so i could idle home on it.


[/img]
major :shock: defect!
thats what i thought


ive hunted for the last 3 days for a good one with no luck :( i dont want another one like that one for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gearhead559 said:
I have a oem one, it's rather long, fit's c-6 and big 4 speed's..

rather beffy! overall 9" long...They said i could cut it down if needed!

i never used it yet, your welcome to try it, i see if i can get pic's!!
cool deal man shoot some pics up..


i picked up a spicer yoke today but the od of the shaft is too large:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gearhead559 said:
cant remember, but i remember some , came with two larger cap's..(u-joint's i mean)

can't find my damn camera :evil: i think someone's using it :(
im going to swing by the local drive shaft shop in the am. with this old one and see if they can match it up:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,960 Posts
If you don't have a driveshaft safety loop, now is the time to get one!

You might also want to make sure and check your driveshaft's rear pinion & trans slip-yoke U-joint's operating angles. Are the angles where they need to be (street driving vs strip only) to prevent binding and/or driveshaft "whip".

If all else fails, try a "Home Depot Throttle Stop" (pat pending) to control the torque breakage.



*WARNING*: The "Home Depot Throttle Stop" (pat pending) is not meant to be used on sbc or "ricers". Also Home Depot can not be held responsible for it's miss use on ANY low powered crap-cars (LOL!).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. said:
If you don't have a driveshaft safety loop, now is the time to get one!

You might also want to make sure and check your driveshaft's rear pinion & trans slip-yoke U-joint's operating angles. Are the angles where they need to be (street driving vs strip only) to prevent binding and/or driveshaft "whip". !).


Yeah, im going to add one soon its not fun loosing the shaft. i do need to check the angles and will do when i get the shaft back in.





D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. said:
If all else fails, try a "Home Depot Throttle Stop" (pat pending) to control the torque breakage.



*WARNING*: The "Home Depot Throttle Stop" (pat pending) is not meant to be used on sbc or "ricers". Also Home Depot can not be held responsible for it's miss use on ANY low powered crap-cars (LOL!).

LMAO, dude thats great :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,941 Posts
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. said:
If you don't have a driveshaft safety loop, now is the time to get one!

You might also want to make sure and check your driveshaft's rear pinion & trans slip-yoke U-joint's operating angles. Are the angles where they need to be (street driving vs strip only) to prevent binding and/or driveshaft "whip".

If all else fails, try a "Home Depot Throttle Stop" (pat pending) to control the torque breakage.



*WARNING*: The "Home Depot Throttle Stop" (pat pending) is not meant to be used on sbc or "ricers". Also Home Depot can not be held responsible for it's miss use on ANY low powered crap-cars (LOL!).
thank's, i just got pepsi all over my laptop....know thats funny right there!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top