460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a shortie on myself.
Live in Rotorua, New Zealand. (Small islands below Australia)
Am the proud owner of a 1938 Ford Pick-up, 429,mild cam, 4 Bbl , C6 auto
9", pro stock look. Sadly, I can't take the credit for it, I bought it like this.
The problem I have is it has Auto Meter Phantom gauges in her and the speedo was not working as it should. I emailed Auto Meter and they reponded with some ideas on getting it to work and if it didn't, an address to send it to in the states. That was all fine until I asked if they had a service agent in either NZ or Aus. Never got a reply. Sent it to a local company here in NZ that speacializes in fixing gauges. They spent 2 hours trying to rewind the cross coil meter with no luck or charge. I said I would email Auto Meter again and see if they would supply a new cross coil meter. Yet again, they have not replyed to my mail.
Is there anyone on this Great Forum that may be able to help.

Cheers Brian

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
So, the gauge is bad?

So do you know the gauge is bad?

Is labor so cheap there that repairing a gauge is economically feasible?

Here, I would probably smash that one with a big hammer (in order to reap entertainment value) and buy another one...the American way. LOL. It would cost more to repair it most likely.

OK, but seriously...how expensive is this speedometer new? Are you sure the wiring and pickup are working? I'd doubt the wiring/pickup before I'd doubt the gauge.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
It is only the cross coil meter that is bad. Everything else,wiring etc is fine.
To buy in NZ the best price is $450NZ. If I was to buy a new one it would be cheaper to buy ex states.
The cost to fix if I can get the part, as long as it isn't overpriced, is about $100NZ.

Cheers Brian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts