460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first BBF build, picked up a 429 a few months ago. I have a V6 1999 Mustang that I want to drop this in, but being as I've never done a swap before, I need some suggestions!

Seeing as this car is a V6, I know I'm going to have to upgrade a lot on the car that's not engine related. Again, this is my first project so I really don't know much about any of this outside of the engine work. I'm not too concerned about the cost of parts (although, who doesn't like quality at a low price?). I'd like to get the engine somewhere between 500-800 HP, just to give you guys a better idea of what I may need to support that power.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Well it isn't super hard to do. You will probably have to purchase a V8 engine cradle. I would go tubular for 2 reasons 1. weight savings, 2. headers clearance. You will need a V8 trans x-member. The rearend will need to be upgraded atleast to 8.8. If cost is not a concern get a bolt in 9 inch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I knew the rear had to be upgraded, think you could shoot me some links for where to get some of these things?

·
Registered
584 Posts
i'd do the coilover struts too,more room,less weight,and you can change springs easy if needed.if it's a street build you may want to check into some power acc.steering and hydraboost brakes.yellowbullet.com would be another place to check.:D

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Strange or Moser would both be good places to source a bolt in 9inch rear, UPR makes some very nice suspension packages. You need to decide how much power you intend to make for sure so you can know which direction you need to go on parts selection. It takes a lot stronger parts for 800hp vs. a 500hp engine. 500-600hp is a good goal though and fairly easy to achieve.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I'd like to hit 800 HP, 500-600 HP sounds a little more realistic right now though, so we'll shoot for 600 HP. Moser 9" rear, 35 spline? I'm on their website looking at the complete housing and axle package and know nothing about the bolt pattern, bearing type, stud type, brakes, housing options, axle feature options, etc. Any suggestions or explanations on that stuff so I can get a better understanding of it all would be awesome.

I checked out the UPR suspension stuff, a little easier to figure out. They have a rear suspension kit, and I guess the K Member kit would be for the front suspension?

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
aokd00d - Check your PM's!

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is my first BBF build, picked up a 429 a few months ago. I have a V6 1999 Mustang that I want to drop this in, but being as I've never done a swap before, I need some suggestions!

Seeing as this car is a V6, I know I'm going to have to upgrade a lot on the car that's not engine related. Again, this is my first project so I really don't know much about any of this outside of the engine work. I'm not too concerned about the cost of parts (although, who doesn't like quality at a low price?). I'd like to get the engine somewhere between 500-800 HP, just to give you guys a better idea of what I may need to support that power.

Hey all Im new to the forum (only second reply lol). aokd00d - I would look at strengthing the car and the chassis now for the final HP level and direction you want the car to go (street only, drag only, combo of both etc). Subframe connectors, 9", 6 point roll bar (minimum), strengthen the torque boxes are a few of the upgrades I would suggest. But you need to "plan" your build and follow your plan. This forum is an excellent place to gather the information you need.

·
Registered
6 Posts

As for the engine swap there are headers and motor mounts available in kit form or you could use motor and mid plates to gain extra header clearance. You can swap the stock 6 cyl k member for a stock 5.0L one (cheaper route) or use an after market tublar k member kit as suggested by the others (although be sure to ask the manufacturer if it lowers the ride hieght or moves the front wheels from the stock location).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts