460 Ford Forum banner

First Runs: Video

3K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  Doug Rahn 
#1 ·
We made it to the track today and man it was hot. We also didn’t have any clocks so I don’t have any times to post, but we knew that beforehand. The track wasn’t the greatest with all the rain we’ve been getting. Some rubber is peeling up at the starting line and that didn’t help any, but the track manager (Ronnie McDaniel) did prep the track for us a little, blew all the debris off, dragged it, and spray a little compound down for us. We had a few minor problems, the first one, and this is the funny part. The first two passes were made with 25 psi in the rear, we forgot to air them down :D LOL. Moving the car in and out of my shop I have to air them up to keep the headers from dragging over the door sill. Note to self “Remember to air down the tires dumb ***”:eek:! The second minor problem the trans-brake button on the steering wheel was not working. The toggle switch I have on the dash for reverse was working but not the steering wheel. Either the switch has gone bad or I have a loose connection somewhere. I’ll fix that tomorrow. I screwed up the video on the 4th pass, I accidentally turned my camera off, dumb *** :eek:.

We’ve got some work to do like setting up the launch retard and gear change retard, too much power initially, but it does go straight and that’s what we wanted to know :D. I forgot to bring my wheelie bar chalk so I don’t know what’s going on there, but I do think I need to raise them some and adjust the travel limiters in the front. We would have liked to of spent some more time at the track but like I said it was hot as hell and Mike and I both we’re getting tired, and we did bring it home in one piece and didn’t break anything. I know Mike was hot in that firesuit. We’ll do some more chassis tuning at Windy Hollow where we know the track will be top notch! Anywho, I can’t wait for the Doc to give me the okay to drive.

See less See more
#5 ·
Douglas,

It was my pleasure to test your new ride for you. That thing has WAY too much motor for those small tires...lol I just wanted to make sure I brought it home in one piece.:D

YES, It was HOT...but it was well worth it...:)

It does go straight..Excess wheel spin , from no rubber on the track, is causing it to "step out"... Should not be a problem on a good track..

#10 ·
Great lookin car Doug!! That engine sure sounds good, nice and clean during the burnout.

Great driving Mike!!:cool: Good to see the common sense to let off when it gets out of shape. I guess thats part of "testing" but I've seen so many guys take it right to the wall before they let off!!:eek:

Great job guys!!

Bill

#21 ·
Bill, Thanks for the kind words.. It was the first time I had driven a door car in a LONG time. I also didn't want to be known as "The guy that wrecked Doug's car" on this forum..lol:D We knew the track was going to be bad..bald spots on the starting line, rubber peeling up from all the rain, but we found out most of what we needed to know..That was a good thing.:D

#25 ·
Doug, where the hell is that track located???........boy, its pretty plain and simple!......no bleachers or stands......kind of desolate!......anyway, very nice car and great job!

#26 ·
It's way out in the country about 20 miles from my house. You can't see them in the video, but there are some grandstands up on the hill, left side. It's not a bad track, just not used enough and in some cases not well maintained. It's all concrete through the 1/8 that is ground flat.

#29 ·
You know Doug, those pipe rack guys are always giving us door guys a hard time. I think I'd get someone else to drive for ya!!............................. Like ME!!!!! :D:D Just bustin ya'lls balls a little bit.;) That thing is gonna be a monster!!!:cool:

Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.