460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So thankful for all the help. I seriously don't think I would have had such a successful test run without y'all. A short clip of the end of the test run posted below. A few minor leaks - around distributor as I did not use the right size seal. Also the oil pressure sending unit (how do you best seal that?).

Biggest issue is a leak between the head and block behind/at number 4 cylinder. Am almost positive it is not leaking from either the valve cover or intake. I took a camera back there and saw no evidence of that. PLUS I pulled the plug on 4 and it was a little wet. Anybody with experience on that issue? I see there is an oil return right there on the head. NOTE: I made the mistake of putting duct tape over both vents on the intake to avoid splashing, as I didn't have the proper vents yet. Could that increased pressure lend to this kind of leak? Checked torque on head bolts and they are good.

Anyway, here's the vid. Don't have it dialed in quite yet, but overall very pleased. Initial timing is at 15 BTDC. Also, around 15 seconds in, you can see my work-in-progress of relocating the gas tank to the bed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You have to have some kind of crankcase vent. Especially on a fresh engine with the rings not seated. You will have a LOT of blowby.
Do whatever you have to. A push-in breather. A shop rag taped over the hole. Something to allow crankcase gasses out. As to the area around #4, if it is crankcase pressure causing the leak, it typically finds the easiest way out. Which depends on how you used your gaskets and sealers. I would look in the corner of the china wall at the intake gasket. The oil pressure sender I use Teflon pipe dope. If it won't dry up, you can try a heavier-body sealant. I have seen guys wrap a bunch of Teflon tape around the fitting and get away with it...

·
Registered
263 Posts
What ever you use to seal a leak on the sending unit, use a Ohm meter to see if you have a good ground between the block and the electrical stud. Otherwise it won't read right. By sealing the valve cover opening you pressurized the engine's inside. It didn't have anyway to vent itself. Early ones was the old down draft tube, then PCVs.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
top left, drivers side bell housing bolt

Reactions: The Mad Porter

·
Registered
10 Posts
If the oil pressure sending unit is leaking at the back of the intake the oil will puddle up and run down the back of the block. I thought it was my rear main seal... fix the leak, clean up all the oil and run it again. Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts