460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm new to this forum. i'm an old time fe guy. this is my first effort at a 385 series engine.it will be goining in a 78 ford fairmont. it will have a 4.11 gear,c4 tranny, it is a 73 429. i have a set of hooker super comps, truck rods with football headed bolts.i have a new offy port-o-sonic manifold w the small ports. i plan on using a isky mega cam [280 duration] the heads are d3ve i plan on home porting the exaust ports removing the flow bump and some bowl work- intake side just port matching to intake. this is a very cost sensetive build as i'm trying to do all the work i can myself. just don't have a lot of money to throw at it. how do you think these parts match up? any and all recomendtions are welcome, like i said this engine is new ground for me. thanks gopher

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
addition to previous post.

i left some stuff out on the last post. i have a 2800/3000 stall converter. msd 6al ing with a duraspark dist.car will be used in 1/8 mile racing. 28x9 slicks. what are thoughts on the duraspark, or should i try to find a mechanical msd unit. i've never ran a dist with a vaccum advance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If it still has the stock '73 pistons in it then your compression is going to be low. I'd look for a set of different pistons or a set of C8, C9, or D0
heads to get the compression up. If you go with the different pistons, you might as well go ahead and get a 460 crank. If you're paying for new pistons anyway theres no since in leaving 30cu.in. on the table.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
I'd do something about the low 8.0/1 compression ratio of that "73 engine.
At least some forged replacement Cobra-Jet flat-top pistons; Sealed Power #L-2366F or equivalents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.