460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently wrecked my roadster and cant afford to fix without selling this engine. Specs as of now 4.600 bore JE piston. 3.820 stroke sonny bryant crankshaft =508ci aluminum throughout (block, rods, pan, sheet metal intake) comes with crank trigger, distributor,flywheel,motorplates everything but carbs. The heads are the latest version pontiac style heads that flow astronomical numbers. This engine was most recently used in pro gas flat boat racing and set records when owned by John White of Texas. Lots of more information is available as well as some spare parts that come with engine. Engine has approximately 35 passes on it since being freshened with overbore, pistons, new rods, rings, bearings Call for more information (Jeff 901 277-6156) asking $14,000 Memphis, Tn (area) Pics available to interested parties

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These heads are also referred to as bastard prostock they have pontiac style valvecovers and have many pontiac(bigchief) similarities. Do a search in the tech archives for bastard prostock to learn more. I don't have time to type out all the info but feel free to call me if your interest is of a serious nature

·
Registered
324 Posts
heads

Thank you. It makes a lot of since to me now i do know of the differant veriaties of the Basterd heads. Thanks Jack Ps. I would like a set of those.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Chevy

Well dfree383 I guess you don't like the CHEVY ex. ports on your A heads, And I hate to be the one to tell you but that PG trans is also a GM product. :oops: :idea: :oops: :idea:

·
Registered
218 Posts
dfree383 said:
Nice to see GM stuff for sale on a Ford Site.... :roll: by members with 2 posts...... :lol:
THE BASTARD HEADS ARE ACTUALLY FORD HEADS BUT THEY HAVE SOME EARLIER CHEVY DESIGNS IN THEM INCLUDING THE VALVE COVERS THERE WAS AN ARCHIVE ON HERE NOT TO LONG AGO ABOUT THEM. I'D LIKE TO KNOW WHAT ALUMINUM BLOCK IT HAS AND WHAT DECK IT IS HOWEVER SOUNDS LIKE A COOL LITTLE MOTOR! SMALL STROKE BIG BORE KILLER HEADS!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes this motor once belonged to Kaz before he got out of boat racing to answer your question Charlie. The block doesn't have any visible brand logo but I believe its Ford Motorsports or SVO, it has the roller bearing cam journals and provisions for wetsump oiling if that helps at all. The compression height of the pistons are 1.305" but I don't know the rod length or deck height without disassembly.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Guy's cut the guy some slack. This is a high end engine and not your everyday 450 horse build. When you build almost any kind of high end engine, chances are that the peices you are buying are custom made and not factory take offs. As far as how many post the man has should not bear any factor in this either. There are a pile of post whores on this site, some very knowledgeable and some not so, would a guy with 3000 post and a set of DOVE-C super rare one of three sets built for Jonn Force cylinder heads make a big difference ?? Sorry but this stuff is starting to piss me off just a little, the man has a legit peice of history here, so if you don't have any interest in whats for sale, Then keep your fingers off the key board!
Travis

·
Registered
816 Posts
TravisRice said:
Guy's cut the guy some slack. This is a high end engine and not your everyday 450 horse build. When you build almost any kind of high end engine, chances are that the peices you are buying are custom made and not factory take offs. As far as how many post the man has should not bear any factor in this either. There are a pile of post whores on this site, some very knowledgeable and some not so, would a guy with 3000 post and a set of DOVE-C super rare one of three sets built for Jonn Force cylinder heads make a big difference ?? Sorry but this stuff is starting to piss me off just a little, the man has a legit peice of history here, so if you don't have any interest in whats for sale, Then keep your fingers off the key board!
Travis
+1 :wink:

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Jeff,

I saw the engine a few years ago at a drag boat race at Kentucky Lake. It was in Kaz's boat then.

For the rest of the guys, it does have a set of the bastard Pro Stock wedge heads built by Mike and Rick Smith of Trick Flow Specialites. The heads are Ford/ TFS heads, and have the Ford Motorsports logo on the ends of the heads if my memory is correct. Probally the only reason the word Pontiac is mentioned, is because they took the Pontiac Pro Stock style valve cover, which is a wider valve cover than the regular Ford. In that thread on bastard Pro Stock heads, I gave a pretty good detailed explaination of the evolution of those heads. I think Lem also posted some pictures of them.

I think the block is a short deck AR Competion alum. block. This engine and the one Paul Kane bought from Lem are pretty close to being twins, or at least brothers.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: Chevy

3MTA3 said:
Well dfree383 I guess you don't like the CHEVY ex. ports on your A heads, And I hate to be the one to tell you but that PG trans is also a GM product. :oops: :idea: :oops: :idea:
Its a shame that the GM guys in IHRA couldn't go as fast as the fords and one of the big gm motor builders copyed the ford kaase head. Now the gm's like john montecalvo run the ford head on there gm bottom....

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had a 500" motor with those heads. They made incredible power but had some serious drawbacks. Mine was a 3.820" stroke, 4.560" bore...it thought is was a small block. Made all of it's good power above 7000 RPM. The castings were very pourous (sp) and had a tendency to move/warp/leak. Head gasket sealing was a chore to keep up with as a result. My particular set had been ported with too much epoxy which limited me to running only gasoline...methanol would destroy the epoxy. If mine were all aluminum I might still have them today.

They did indeed take a Big Chief Pontiac valve cover and gasket. The valves we used were also BCP +.200" with 5/16" and 11/32 stems. Jesel made the shaft rockers but never kept them in stock...always had to make 4-6 of them whenever I broke/damaged one. The deck on the block was cut down to 9.200" which wasn't a problem (I used an A460 block) except that the upper bellhousing holes lost about 1/3 of the contact area.

I tried and tried and tried to get Brodix, World, and a few other cylinder head companies to take the heads, make a mold, do all the improvements it needed, and offer them as a viable alternative to the Generic Engine brigade. Deaf ears, man....deaf ears.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts